Phillip Phillips' Family

'Idol' Champ's Forcing Us

To Sell Pawn Shop

11/3/2012 6:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0612_philip_philips_pawnstore
Phillip Phillips
' family says the singer left them high and dry after winning "American Idol" -- refusing to help them out financially -- and now, they've been forced to sell their cherished family business ... Phillips family sources tell TMZ.

The Phillips family-owned Albany Sporting Goods and Pawn -- which has been in the family for 24 years -- is scheduled to hit the auction block on December 1st ... and we're told, Phillip's dad hopes to use the profits to cover the family's mounting debt.

We're told Phillip's dad hopes to bring in between $200,000-250,000 during the auction.

We're told Phillip's family has reached out multiple times to the singer for financial help since he hit it big, but Phil has blown them off.

According to Phillips family sources, the family's especially hurt by the singer's radio silence -- since they spent a ton of money on travel expenses so they could see Phillip compete on "Idol."

We made multiple calls to Phillip Phillips over several days -- but our calls were not returned.

EarsuckerDOTcom

When he won the show, the dad was trying to sell the pawn shop... I guess this makes for a better story?

Shellybean

Oh I don't believe this crap for one freakin' minute. Phillip Phillips is a GOOD Kid, who loves his Daddy & family! Leave this boy alone!

Mike

He might have won (did he? I don't follow that well) - but even if you win a million on a show like Idol, you don't get a million payout. It's something like $40k over 10 years. Basically, he won himself a job.

That doesn't entitle anyone to anything. I have a good job and I have family that might need help - that doesn't mean that I can bail them out of everything that happened prior to my good fortune.

Christine

So the expectation of some parents are if your child is successful then they are suppose to bail you out of your misfortune. Sounds like failed parenting 101 and to broadcast it on TMZ is even worse. Leave the problems of the family private. If your child is successful that does not entitle you to expect help from him or her. If I had a boat load of money I would help my parents because they did help me when I needed it. But I know that the expectation won't be there. Pretty sad that his parents felt the need to let everyone know their business.

Crazy Cat Lady

I agree with many of you - I don't think his family ought to feel entitled to his money.

Reader

Phillip in in Georgia right now, visiting his parents. If his relationship with them was "high and dry" as you claim it Phillip wouldn't twitter "Its so good to be home! Good to see friends and family!".
Shame on you TMZ for making up this pathetic lie.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

And now they're being forced to sell? TMZ reported they were selling around the time he won.TMZ also reported a break-in. Now their kid is a meanie? Sounds more like their trying to create publicity (advertising) for the sale.

steve

I am a parent and I would never want my child to bail me out of a financial bind .I think if his parents loved him in the rite way they would not ask for it .I think its terrible want some parents think its ok to make money off your children .We have children to give them love and support in what ever they do .And be happy when they succeed thats what being a parent is all about to be a proud parent as they should be proud of him .I love my children very much and I love to give to them .Thats the reason we have children !!!

Sally

Don't return the calls Phillip, they are just freeloaders and TMZ is known as the celebrity stalker.

eloc

The family business was not this kid's choice. Bad business decisions were probably made and the market has changed so now it's time to let it go. This happens. Your young family member has no obligation to use the money he's earning to bail everybody (and a dying business) out. This is how new money becomes no money.

Bec215

The article doesn't say who these people are...it could be second cousins for all we know. Plenty celebs and athletes have gone bankrupt due to 'helping' family and friends financially. The fact these people are going bankrupt but hspent money to fly to see him says something... I would not be so quick to judge.... The story is vague and meant to provoke.

sm

Money should know no boundaries!! We should take care of our own so the government doesn't have to. If we can just care more about our loved ones than the love of money, the world would be a much better place. This punk is a jerk, but his parents raised him to be selfish!!!!!!!

santafetrainer

We have no idea what the relationship was before.
Comparing travel expenses(are those covered by idol?) to what seems to be 100's of thousands is a bit silly.
It's not his job to support them. And, practically, why put money into a failing business?

sm

BC7640

The article makes it seem like Phillip split and hasn't had any contact with his family like he's too busy living the high life! I searched the internet for any other stories like this and the only thing I found was a small article and picture of him with his nieces on Halloween getting ready to take them trick or treating so he obviously is still in contact with family.