« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Miami Dolphins Player

Arrested for Choking Taxi Driver

11/26/2012 9:50 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1126_jonathon_amaya_mug_shot_article

Miami Dolphins safety Jonathon Amaya was arrested in Miami Beach early this morning ... after he allegedly choked out a cab driver.

According to the Miami Beach PD, 24-year-old Amaya -- 6'2", 185 lbs -- had given the cab driver $100 to take him outside the cab driver's usual area ... but during the ride, the NFL player got "aggressive."

The taxi driver told police he tried to kick Amaya out of the cab -- and even offered to return the $100 -- but Amaya refused. Instead, the cab driver claims, Amaya “leaned forward and wrapped his hands around his neck and started choking him."

When cops arrived to the scene, Amaya was still inside the cab. The driver told the responding officers, "This man is trying to kill me."

Cops say the cab driver did not have any visible injuries.

Amaya was eventually "escorted" out of the vehicle and arrested for battery just after 4AM.

FYI -- Amaya didn't record a single tackle in the Dolphins victory over the Seahawks on Sunday ... and only has 4 tackles on the year.

update_bar
10:45 AM PT -- A rep for the Dolphins tells TMZ ... "We are aware of the situation and are in the process of gathering information.”

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

rodney

"Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a b#tch?"

Az Heat

Hmmm lets see... A pro athlete chokes a guy but if I did it I would be doing jail time. Athletes are way over paid for ”playing” a sport while our troops and law enforcement risk their lives. I love America but we are seriously ass backwards!!

Onijuan

An athlete finally tries to plays it smart and gets a cab instead of a DUI... And they still cant get it right!! Haha

Joao

I hope that cab driver had the wherewithal to go to the hospital, because the cops are going to cover that football player's ass.

KicksandGiggles

Cheez, I wish I could get paid and not have to do my job. My next life, I would like to come back as a NFL pro athelete. I hope his useless azz is locked up so he can practice some love tackles as Bubba's doll baby. I am sure Bubbba has some great plans to pin back those ears.

The Universe

Build that border fence now!! AMAYA needs to go bye bye.

garwilly

That cab driver ****ing lying, he didn't choke him...he took the dude money and wouldn't return it or wanted to take him. The cops in Miami do this sh!t all the time, where they look to arrest players! They did the something you Udonis Haslm when they falsely arrest the dude saying he had weed and gun! These fu€king Miami cops worst than NYPD

G

NFL players acting like spoiled entitled *******s?!? Unpossible!

The New Improved Sock Puppet

Too bad the cabbie didn't blow his brains out. Better luck next time.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Just another angry douche. Wouldn't be surprised, sadly, if Miami extended his contract.

thestupid

He is black

BECKER

Scary looking NFL Thug. Too many steroids?

jujax17

I've ridden in Miami cabs...the way they drive they need choking, But....I've never seen someone get choked and have no marks...IJS

GoodOnPaper

and this loser makes how much???? while our military deploying to the front lines make SQUAT.

Sue from jersey

There was no proof he did this . Johnathon gave him $100 up front he wasn't cheap.Seems like the driver changed his mind not wanting to drive that far and Amaya didn't want to be left in the dark .Your going to tell me a pro football player choked you and you have no injuries.Amaya lawyer up!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments