Australian DJs

We're SUSPENDING OURSELVES

Due to Suicide

12/7/2012 11:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1206_Mel-Grieg-Michael-Christian-dj-prank-article-2
The two Australian DJs behind the Kate Middleton hospital prank that may have led to the suicide of a nurse have decided to REMOVE themselves from the airwaves.

Southern Cross Austereo, the company that owns the station, has released a statement ... saying, "SCA and 2Day FM are deeply saddened by the tragic news of the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha from King Edward VII’s Hospital."

SCA says the CEO has spoken with both of the DJs ... who are both "deeply shocked" over the tragedy.

The company adds, "SCA and the hosts have decided that they will not return to their radio show until further notice out of respect for what can only be described as a tragedy."

Interesting that SCA did NOT pull the DJs off the air immediately following the prank ... but instead waited until the backlash after Saldanha's suicide.

P

The media is out of control with their "whatever it takes" method of getting the next big story. How on Earth did they think this stunt would be funny? Hospitals staff have enough to do helping their patients without taking time out for stupid time-wasting jokes. My sympathy goes out to the family and friends of the poor nurse who couldn't live with the shame of being the victim of this prank and the knowledge that the whole world knew. Fault for her death lies solely on the heads of those DJs. They should be ashamed of themselves and the station should have stepped in immediately and fired them.

Wendy

In no way are the DJ's fault. The prank was not funny, but obviously the woman had issue's. You don't get pranked and then decide to kill yourself over being pranked. Suicide is not a decision that you make lightly and over something this silly. Or she would have killed herself a long time ago. My condolences to the nurse's family.

mary

While I think this is tragic. I dont believe her reason to choose sucide was due to this prank. I think she must have had other things bothering her to go to such extremes. After all who was hurt by the prank....no one, other for the public to know she hadnt had any retching that night. I think the place security is responible for the royals not the hospital staff. Im surprised after all that has happened to the royal family that a member of her security team didnt take the call as they would not have been fooled.

Matthew

There is no way I'd fire these kids over the call. I applaud them for stepping aside out of respect for the nurse and grieving over her, but this was a light-hearted prank phone call, not a plot to drive someone to suicide. Compared to the mess I've heard from other radio/shock jock hosts this was tame in comparison! I can only believe the nurse had some other personal issues. My heart goes out to her family.

JacinthaSucks

You gotta be kidding me right? Fired? Removed? Are you kidding??? She killed herself over her stupid mistakes. This has NOTHING TO DO with the DJ's half a world away. Nobody is responsible for her death except herself. What everybody doesn't know is that this was an plot by the Royals to set an example over people that cross them. They are tired of the media diving into their personal business so they killed her and made it look like a suicide.

Passthepeas

You Jackasses do not get to choose your punishment. Cowards. You better hope that immediate dismissal is your only consequence of your stupidity. I see serious criminal charges as a possibility. Suspending yourselves? How cute.

Cokie

This is bull****! They didn't even think they'd get through. Which they shouldn't have. But that should reflect poorly on the hospital and the phone protocol. And the receptionist didn't commit suicide due to transferring the call. She probably did that in regards to how the hospital handled her afterwards. The hospital should Man Up and accept the blame and quit leaving these poor DJs looking like the bad guys.

Gail

I was upset when I heard the nurse had commited suicide. But I'm sure the DJs are devastated at the news. I cant imagine it gtting worse for them.

A voice

When will the radio station stop playing the hoax call? Have heard its still being played today despite the news of this womans tragic death having become known at the station.

Tammy Perna

While this is a horrible and very sad event, it is not the DJ'S fault. It was a publicity prank that was not expected to go anywhere!

Okinikka

Maybe its a prank to prank the prankers?? Umad?

A1A

They are thrilled with their publicity! The radio station is no doubt popping corks in their party right now. Free publicity is what they wanted and if a bit of collateral damage happens so what, it was worth it. Now all over the world 2Day is known for their humor and wit, which is exactly what they wanted. I assure you, these two DJ's are loving this publicity. I suspect they both will get raises and plaques to put on their office wall commemorating this great event for the station. That nurse...well, we had nothing to do with that, how can you blame us for something we had no control over.

TinaTina729

Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is NOT the dj's fault. Pranks go on everyday. This is tragic but NOT their fault!!

smurfya

Someone might want to ask this nurses boss and her colleagues what they said to her after the prank call, maybe they some explaining to do also!

dnadeau77

The DJs are NOT to blame!!!! If that nurse committed suicide because of a prank call, then she needed a mental health evaluation