'Storage Wars'

Lawsuit Claims

Show is RIGGED

12/11/2012 10:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1211-dave-hester-tmz-complaint
"Storage Wars" -- the hit A&E show -- is deceiving viewers by making it seem contestants are bidding on unseen items, when the best goods are actually planted inside ... this according to a lawsuit obtained by TMZ.

The lawsuit -- filed by the former star, David Hester -- claims he was axed when he complained to producers about the alleged rigging practices.

Hester claims in one case producers planted a BMW mini car under a pile of trash.  In another case, Hester alleges producers planted a pile of old newspapers that announced the death of Elvis.  For some reason, that's a valuable commodity.

And Hester goes on ... claiming the show even gave less than photogenic cast members money for plastic surgery to "create more sex appeal."

Hester claims in the suit he was wrongfully terminated because he blew the whistle.

But Dan Dotson -- the guy behind the show's auction company -- disagrees, telling TMZ, every unit seen on the show is legit and has a seal on it before they open it ... making it impossible for A&E to tamper with the units before filming begins.

Dan adds, “We only sell legitimate units on Storage Wars. Every unit goes through a 64-day legal process and no one has access to units prior to auction.”

A rep for A&E tells TMZ, "We do not know about a lawsuit being filed and we do not comment on pending or threatened litigation."

me

Sure Dave....and next I guess you'll tell us that Lizard Lick Towing isn't real either!

JonT

The part that tickles me on the show is how these guys throw prices in these items as they sort them out. I've thrown the likes of some of that stuff out, LOL and these guys make it look like it's worth something. The other thing is Barry starting to act like a momo, he's funny at times but getting a bit too corny!

Jennifer

Last year Dave Hester was demanding more pay from that show because he said he was more intelligent and more entertaining. Well, he didn't get more pay. I watch this show every week and Dave Hester is a miserable person who wants to make the other bidders miserable. I would never buy anything from Dave Hester and I don't think this show increased his business. I think his attitude would make people run away from his store and his dealings.

KathyinNewMexico

Used to work storage auctions. About 1 out of a 100 will have something good. But, you should only pay about 300-400 hundred tops as most are just junky.

Mike

Show fake? YES Brandi hot? NO Dave a A$$ ? YES All those vehicles belong to Barry ? NO

Tveditor

I edited this show and it is fake! From actors to props....its all script!

MaryAnn

He is a loser!! I guess he needs money so he is suing Get a life loser

The Old Motorcycle Guy

No surprise that this show is rigged. I am sure that most reality shows are. I do know of one show that has integrity and that is American Restoration! I stopped by when I was in LV and they were all there, working hard, cracking jokes and being themselves... I was impressed.

bill

i stopped watching the show because cant stand hestor so dont care if its rigged its reality tv

PAT O'BERRY

Dave Hester is a depressed old man. He never talked to any one around him on that show, Always saying horrible things about them. He should of been taken off the show a long time ago. He was always ticked when some one else got a good deal, then he would say something like he has more money ...or such. I would turn it on another channel when he came on the scene. I could not stand him...and that YUP oh Lord that would kill me. It was not about buying and selling to him, It was about HIM....Glad he is gone.

Selauren

So Hester's gone. Hurray!!!!!! Couldn't have happened to a bigger Jacka**. :)

whistler

It is fake which is no surprise to most, but I for one have been wondering how long it would take for someone to sue them as they do violate laws regarding these types of sales. The liberties the show takes with the laws and the potential liability that opens the facilities up to is one reason why the more reputable storage companies will not allow SW to film at their facilities. Places where what goes on can be more easily manipulated and kept hidden, places possibly ignorant of the laws are generally where they film (not to rule out that they do film legit sales to splice in keeping up the reality illusion; the magic they work is afterall in blending reality with fiction). The laws apply to all of us why not a television production company too? Why are they exempt? Oh yes because they make everyone involved sign confidentiality clauses that say they cant talk about it. And of course in the quest for their 15 seconds of TV fame most involved either do not know of the legalities involved, dont know what manipulations have taken place behind their backs or just dont care because gee, they're going to be on TV Ma! I get that it is entertainment and many dont care how fake it is but this situation is different because it is at least based in reality and in reality there are laws involved on these types of sales that even production companies should have to abide by. I would think that attorneys would be some of the show's biggest fans because they will likely be the ones that could benefit the most in the end- seems like there would be many ways get a piece of that pie. I say more power to Hester, I hope he prevails and I hope more folks join him. But no one directly involved can talk about it...and who would if they were involved with it? like a previous poster said, they would be biting the hand that is feeding them in addition to violating the confidentiality clauses so no wonder many involved say it is legit, they have to (and allowing that some would honestly not be aware of what has gone on behind the scenes). where is Jesse Ventura when you need him? lol! because there are definitely conspiracies afoot here but no one cares because they just want to be entertained.

tony

dave hestor is an idiot, hes upset cause he cant win anything. he needs punches out

Gypsyangel

Hester is a selfish bastard. Over the summer TMZ taped him in LA, with all his yuuup clothes on, coming from a meeting with A&E. They asked about the show and Hester said he's the star of the show and would do another season only if he got a huge raise. He went from owning a thrift store to buying an auction house, a fleet of trucks, a line of clothes with "YUUUP" written on them and trademarking his "YUUUUP", to going bankrupt. Basically, he f@$%ed up, and financially got in over his BIG, FAT head & wants A&E to pay for his f@$% up. And, he wants the cast & crew of Storage Wars to pay for his f@$% up by filing a lawsuit that could put a stop to the show and their jobs. The same show that gave him his 5 minutes of fame, his BIG, FAT head and his now deflated wallet that bought the auction house, trucks & clothes. Way to go Hester, bite the hand that feeds you. And now that you are not getting what you want, you want everyone associated with the show to suffer. You are nothing but a self centered waste of skin.

Gypsyangel

Hester is a self centered jerk.

Previous 15 Comments | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments