« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Sues NFL

Over Brain Injuries

1/23/2013 9:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1023_junior_seau_article_getty
Junior Seau
's family has filed a lawsuit against the NFL over brain injuries the Chargers legend sustained during his career -- injuries they claim caused him to kill himself.

The family filed the wrongful death lawsuit today in San Diego, claiming the league willfully hid the truth about the dangers of repetitive blows to the head ... such as those regularly sustained by professional football players.

According to the lawsuit, Seau suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) from those hits -- a condition that his family claims drove him to suicide.

The Seau family is also suing NFL helmet manufacturer Riddell -- calling the helmets dangerous and claiming the company was "negligent in their design."

Seau died last May after shooting himself in the chest. He was 43.

The Seau lawsuit is just one of a reported 175 lawsuits filed against the NFL by players and their families over head injuries sustained during their careers.

After filing the lawsuit, the family released a statement, saying, "We know this lawsuit will not bring back Junior. But it will send a message that the NFL needs to care for its former players, acknowledge its decades of deception on the issue of head injuries and player safety, and make the game safer for future generations."

The NFL hasn't responded to the lawsuit -- but after it was revealed Seau had CTE, the league released a statement, saying, "The NFL ... is committed to supporting a wide range of independent medical and scientific research that will both address CTE and promote the long-term health and safety of athletes at all levels."

0123_junior_seau_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Ca2Az

Selfish

Mel

Everyone knows multiple blows to the head can harm you but he kept playing for the paycheck and now the family wants it!!!

Herman Munster

What a joke, he was the one who wanted to play football. If they ok this law suit every person who ever played a sport is going to sue

hammonator62

The Seau family needs to get a job!!! The money train has derailed. Quit trying to extort money from the nfl. They owe you nothing!!! He knew the consequences of playing pro football...MOVE ON!!!!!!

Quiet

What erases the pain of losing a loved one??? Money money n mo money.

Tmzsucks

I would like to sue the Seau family for the tax dollars that will be spent to process this frivolous lawsuit.

Wow ...

If the NFL is committing a fraud by telling players it can't happen, then certainly they deserve to be held accountable and the manner it handles injuries needs to change. Still I can't help but wonder where the personal responsibility lies. Maybe NFL drs say football is safe, but go to a regular doc and they will tell ya, head trauma is no good for the brain!

Genn1825

Oh give me a break!! Hope they get nothing!

E

I'm usually not a fan of suing, but this seems called for.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

When I was a kid, they used to talk about how bad boxing was because getting punched in the head all the time ruins your brain. That was a long ass time ago, so today, it's fairly common knowledge that getting hit in the head is bad for your brain. If he had destroyed his hip and couldn't walk, would they have sued? Don't think so.

tgrfan42069

he knew the consequences and played and made millions doing so.they have no right to sue no one forced him to play football and make millions he had a choice

Cincinnati Sugar

In other news, I'm still working on making my "frenemy" fatter, its working, I was a great friend for a LONG time and she has done nothing but humiliate me in front of friends, give me mean comments while trying to pass them off as jokes. I can't take it anymore so karma is being tossed her way. She doesn't even realise it and thats the best part. I buy her food gift cards, buy her dessert, tell her (ugly) clothes look good on her. She says "I'm gaining too much weight" and I say "What? You don't look like it at all". She is probably about 235lbs by now, and I will keep taking her out to eat and making her bigg as possible. I'm tired of being the good friend while she is so horrible to me soooooo EAT UP....BITCH!

Paula Eeickson

this is why lawyers are sleezy!!!

messygirl

Is this a sports website now? WTF? I don't want to see sports "news." Get it off.

Cincinnati Sugar

She's got a BMI of 37.9...OBESE, YAYYYY, gonna see if I can get her to a BMI of 40.0!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments