Jay Leno

NBC Won't Pull Plug Prematurely

3/21/2013 1:07 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0321-jay-leno-jimmy-fallon-tmz-nbc
Jay Leno will be beached when his contract is up ... but not a day before -- this according to sources connected to NBC.

Jimmy Fallon will be replacing Jay on "The Tonight Show" when Jay's contract is up in September, 2014.  There's been a buzz that NBC may not want to wait and will make the change before Jay's contract expires.  Not gonna happen.

Informed sources connected with the network tell TMZ ... when Jay renegotiated his contract during the Conan O'Brien mess, he demanded and got several penalty clauses that would make NBC take an ENORMOUS financial hit if they pull the plug early.

We do not know specifically how much of a penalty NBC would have to pay, but we're told Jay made it so big, it would be too much for NBC to swallow.

0321_jay_leno_footer

Hohan

They both blow

IwuvTMZ

Leno- he da man!

Dobby

I love Craig Ferguson too. Leno still pisses me off over the Conan debacle.

Jack

NBC should have added a clause that they could cancel the contract if Leno trash talked the network.

Ulm

Maybe you already know and you are just playing on me i don t want to play. Mi mind was very damaged and has been very diminishing those years. pay or not no tracking.

Gullible

Used to like Leno but his appeal is over and done. The stunt he pulled with O'Brian made him look like a petulant child and I have never watched him since. Greedy, self-absorbed nasty man with an ego even bigger than his chin.

Nancy

JIMMY KIMMEL, ALL THE WAY.

Joseph Diehl

I barely watch Leno, and can guarantee you, I won't watch Fallon.

na26

lets face it jay leno ur washed up we need new and young ;)

anony

Fallon just does not have the requisite talk show skills. If NBC wants him to move forward, he needs new writers and producers.

Michael

Leno is still VERY funny people. Take any particular night and look at the monologue and compare Jay, DL, Conan & Fallon. His writers are better and they have more laughs in one night than ALL the others combined for a week. Congrats to Jay for covering his back if/when they wanted to screw him. I hope the clause was for over $250M and he stays on. The "Tonight Show" will never be as good with ANYONE else! (except MAYBE TOSH!!) F NBC!!!!! : )

TJ

So Jay thought it was OK when NBC did it to Conan, but he made sure it didn't happen to him? Just go already, Jay. You're not funny anymore.

SoWhat

Fallon is going to kill The Tonight Show worse than Conan did. Fallon is not funny at all, it's painful to watch him try and do comedy. They need someone funny and good at hosting a show like Dana Carvey, he's very funny and has guest hosted a few times. Or someone like Kevin Nealon would be great too. I just don't get NBC's thinking, there are so many truly funny comedians out there that would be great for the job and they pick the most unfunny idiot out there.

Carl

So basically he put clauses in his contract to prevent anyone doing to him the exact thing he chose to do to Conan. Do as I say, not as I do. Stay classy Jay!

whateveryou

I always liked Ferguson & do think Jay can still be funny at times. Letterman lost me a few years back. If you haven't seen his older shows, before he started coming across as bitter, there really was a time when Letterman was funny. Fallons ok , fresher. The big problem with Leno is that so many people are still too put off by what happened with O'brien to tune in.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments