India.Arie

I Didn't Mean

To Look Light-Skinned

3/29/2013 10:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0329-india-arie-5
Afro-centric singer India.Arie -- famous for singing about her "Brown Skin" -- is now making excuses for the extremely light-skinned photo on the cover of her new single ... telling friends, her skin was NOT intentionally whitewashed.

There's been a lot of commotion about the new photo -- ironically, for her new song, "Cocoa Butter" -- because India's skin is noticeably lighter than what she really looks like ('memba Beyonce?).

But sources close to India tell TMZ, the criticism is ridiculous ... because the "lightened" skin is merely the product of the camera flash and angle. India never asked to be lightened.

But the fact remains ... India approved the photo, and HAD to notice it wasn't a true reflection of her skin color.

India just tweeted, writing, "Personally speaking! i'm happy to say I have NOT BLEACHED my skin LOL! ROTF at the thought."

She added, "1. I wouldn't endanger my health that way 2. i'm so in love with myself I have no DESIRE to BLEACH myself. 3. The GLOW you see IS (magnificent) lighting 4. THE LIGHT you see, Well thats all ME!!"

Snowman with a Turnip Nose

If Americans stopped obsessing about "race", we would have additional 24 hours every day for useful stuff. Can't let that happen...

YungOne

I'm more concerned with the fact that she's wearing short shirts and dressing like Beyonce. She used to be all covered up and Afrocentric. Why is she looking like rest of these R&B broads? Selling they bodies.

JDoors

It's just a common "trick" photogs use. I first noticed it when I saw promo pics of Annie Lennox (obviously, nothing to do with 'dark' skin). She looked so washed out she looked inhuman. I saw video of her backstage and the two images didn't even look like the same person.

Then I noticed the same phenomena for many, many, many, many artists, black, white, Hispanic, it doesn't matter. It is, in my non-professional opinion, a way to wash out imperfections (based on what Lennox looked like in reality vs. the "artful" shots).

DivaStateOvMind

White people darken their skin, black people lighten their skin. Nobody wants to be who they are. Be happy with what you are given

Toallthehatersoftheworld

She on some bull**** if u notice your skin 6 colors lighter u still going approve it. Yea okay she let Hollywood get to her

ray

"because the "lightened" skin is merely the product of the camera flash and angle."
Must be a SPECIAL camera! I've taken 1000's of photos, never had this occur.
Just ANOTHER black woman who HATES her race. right up there with butt-oncey and magna.

tdr9

Who cares! This is not news. We need more news

Queen.of.the.Obvious

She always seemed like a genuine artist to me, and I'd like to think that she wouldn't do that intentionally. But they clearly photoshopped her whole body - not just lightened it up. You'd think she would have been against the pic in general since they modified her whole body. *shrug* Maybe it wasn't really her decision - perhaps her record label had final say and while under contract, she might not be in a position to throw them under the bus about it?

Truth

Proving yet again who the racists really are. Obama voters.

justin

I guess people don't remember her song I am not my hair? if not the very next verse is "I am not my skin" it shouldn't matter if she is brown skin or decided to where make up or whatever it's her skin and her choice. the fact of the matter no one should be defined by the color of their skin

CSpain

Someone who has clearly made a career off her brown skin, this is a disgrace & I find it hard to believe she did not approve of this or know this wasn't a true representation of herself. Hypocritical to say the least.

bataisflow

The uproar over this is racist.

Danielle123

No way in hell was that a product of flash. Her entire body is shades lighter than her natural tone. Come on now. I don't know whether or not it was at her request - something I kind of doubt simply because of how much Arie has talked about loving her own skin. It was probably the result of typical "marketing". If you're not white or bright, they're sure going to try their best to make you look like it. For some reason though, the fact that she stated it was a result of flash *side eye* is suspicious to me, since she and we all know it's not that. Her approval of the photo adds to people's suspicion.

getyalife

That does not even look like her..... Every artist has approve their album cover. They shoot several different looks,and with that being said she approved it.... Maybe she thought it was hot; who knows,and who cares.

ImStillToni

it appears many people here are not aware of India Aarie's stance on skin color and therefore do not get the hypocrisy of her APPROVING a photo that does, in fact, change the coloring on her skin.

This is not a "Black" thing, but more a "Black on Black" thing. India made her stance on Black artists lightening their skin by bleach, makeup, and/or lighting for years. She is all for "embracing" your complexion and be proud, not matter what the shade, but do not alter the coloring God gave you (i'm not religious, this is more her stance summarized).

And now for her, as an artist and a Black woman, to admit she personally approved this photo in which her skin is lightened to a more"passable shade of "coca brown" like the single title is nothing short of her being A) a sellout B)a hypocrite OR C) a smart marketing move by someone other than herself.

I have never been a big India Aire fan but even I know enough about her public stance to know she played herself and her fanbase by allowing this photo to be used.