Iowans to Matthew Perry

Field of Dreams Threatens

Crop Dusting

3/31/2013 12:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0329-matthew-perry
A bunch of farmers want to crush Matthew Perry's "Field of Dreams" -- as in the famous baseball diamond -- because they think it will end their dreams ... of crop dusting.

Just last month, the former "Friends" star joined an investment group (Go the Distance Baseball, LLC) that is planning to build a national youth baseball and softball tournament and training campus on land next to the field made famous by Kevin Costner's movie.

But locals are crying foul -- the Residential & Agricultural Advisory Committee thinks the project will prevent farmers from hauling manure ... and make it next to impossible to move farming vehicles and complete aerial spraying ... aka crop dusting.

They also think increased traffic will cause noise pollution in the area.

Now the group has fired off a letter to Perry claiming, "It is no exaggeration to say that our very way of life is at risk."

No word on whether Perry has actually seen the letter.

savetheFOD

For more factual information surrounding this issue, as well as news of the growing opposition to this development, please visit: facebook.com/savethefieldofdreams

rouge

Haven't read pro/con's on the controversy, but just on the surface - 'noise pollution'? , really?!

Mrugowsky

Lame f*ckin' story. Perry has no talent, Iowa is a hellhole.

U.S. Anti-Drug Think Tank

1. "Pigs will fly, before this investment breaks even." Warren Buffet would say that. 2. When this project goes pork belly up, whoever buys the field and assets at the garage sale will have a better chance of making money. 3. The baseball camp piece of this project already has way too much competition nationwide. The field is in the middle of other fields. Kids will escape from the baseball camp, float down the Mississippi River, like Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, to get to civilization at Dubuque. 4. The feed lot is my briar patch. Cow and hog manure smell wonderful, a lot better than Matthew Perry's acting.

PLAYBALL

If you want the facts - there's a website, Facebook page and an actual person administrating those sites that can tell anyone who asks what is really going on with the development - straight from the horse's mouth - imagine that. All Star Ballpark Heaven is on Facebook and online at www.allstarballparkheaven.com. The owners are working to alleviate any issues that they may cause. They are trying to make the development a win-win for everyone. It WOULD be interesting to know if any of the surrounding farms actually did produce crops or used crop dusting as a technique for their farms though.

Profclouseau

I have nothing against the traditional way of life, and I don't believe myself to be ignorant towards the need for such farmland. But I have to say, I love the idea of saving the Field of Dreams; my family is a huge baseball family, and even if you aren't a major baseball fan, that field and that movie are so iconic. I would like to point out though, that despite the fact that it would require some changing in the lifestyle, it wouldn't be the death of it, that there are other alternatives to farming. First of all, the crop dusting, we should be moving towards organic foods. Or, if organic foods aren't what they want, look to hydroponics. There are many farms that have successfully switched to hydroponics. Not only do the plants grow better, they are at less of a risk for vermin damage and disease. These farms have increased their yield in a healthy, natural way while using less space. Eventually, farmland is going to run out. And no, I do not work for any of these companies, nor am I advertising them. I am just stating knowledge I've gained. I can understand how some of the farmers might be opposed to this, but it is unlikely that this will be the last time someone attempts to build or change something there. Whether we want to face it, technology is growing at an exponential rate, so it is only a matter of time before that lifestyle gets pushed aside in favor of something new. I can think of many things worse than a BASEBALL camp being built at an iconic field. I just wish that more people saw the big picture. I don't blame these farmers for trying to defend their way of life, I find it admirable actually, but I know they will only be able to defend it so long. I don't pretend to understand their way of life, but I do understand how many possible positive outcomes may be consequences of this camp being built. Feel free to criticize, but this is my point of view, and I stand by it. I don't mind the fact that other people may have a different point of view, but exaggeration and rudeness, I find that those usually come from a lack of a truly intelligent, well backed up with facts, response.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2