« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Magic Johnson Tells All

Gay Son, Black Hatred

& Closeted Athletes Coming Out

4/4/2013 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

040313_magic_talk_ej_launch
Magic Johnson has never talked about it before ... but he wanted to open up about his gay son and the implications that Earvin Johnson III's coming out will have in the black community, in the sports community and in their lives.

TMZ sat down with the NBA legend for an unbelievably candid interview -- we've divided the video into three parts:

1) How Magic went to his son around the age of 13 and asked, "Are you gay?" Magic explains why he felt the need to approach his kid and the importance of letting EJ know his whole family loved and supported him.

040313_magic_antigay_haters_launch
2) Magic tells us how he feels about some of the hateful reactions to EJ's coming out on African-American blogs and whether he's bitter, given his unparalleled support of the black community.

040313_magic_athletes_out_launch
3) Magic talks about how his son's coming out could inspire professional athletes to follow suit.  Harvey also asks Magic how, as the owner of the L.A. Dodgers, he would react to a player coming out.

You gotta watch Magic -- he's awesome and inspiring.

040113_ervin_johnson_launch_v3

0404_earvin_magic_together_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

She G

I'm just confused at how he did not know his son is a ***, It's obvious he carriers a freakin purse... REALLY!?! Magic you got to be joking...

rusk

poor example of a father. Yes M needs to show love for his son... then send him to quality therapy to quell his choice to be ONLY infatuated with the same sex. Many X-gays can attribute their new heterosexual life to good therapy.

mochalove

I all ready new his son was gay

Carmen

Harvey stop trying to bash the black community and churches. You know as a Jew your community do not accept gays either. The Orthodox Jews follow the Torah and it's not accepted in your culture either Harvey Levin!

say_what

Magic Johnson is sooooo two faced, first he takes money from whites and then he calls them racists and hate filled... that is like the guy who accuses his wife of cheating on him , when in fact it is he cheating on her..... Magic has a history of treating thousands of women like toilets, now people are actually thinking this man has any type of decent morals

RuthieB

His son is acting like a ridiculous stereotype. Disgusting.

Mulholland Drive

that's sad - was that the son she was carrying when he announced he had the monster? wasn't she preggers at the time?

angie

one thing i can say if he loves his son unconditionally , nothing wrong with that

Helen Thomas

Dear homosexual practioners. I do not fear you. You are flesh and blood and have no heaven or hell to put me in. As a born again believer in CHRIST JESUS, I am commanded to tell you that the sin that so easily besets you/the temptations, are common to human beings. However, the difference between you and I is that I realize my need for the SAVIOR, I have given my life to HIM, I realize that HIS Commands are loving boundaries to preserve my life. I repent of my sin, live in HIS Forgiveness and go and sin no more. You on the other hand, have been fooled into thinking you can sin without impunity, and demand that the rest of us recognize what you do as legitimate, thumbing your noses at the ALMIGHTY GOD WHO tells you through scientific evidence (since you don't believe HIS WORD) that you suffer from those high levels of dis-ease because you use the body in ways it should not be used.
So when you chose to deliberately rebel against the LORD, you chose death.
I like life. I avoid anything that would take me to an early grave. Sin does that, so I allow the LORD to lead and guide me in truth so that when my natural death occurs, I am still eternally alive in HIM.
You know what you are doing is wrong. That's why you insist on trying to share your shame and guilt. But today I tell you that the LORD GOD MOST HIGH, by CHRIST JESUS and the Power of the HOLY SPIRIT, can heal and deliver you from your hurt, your shame, your low self esteem and your perversion. HE loves you, more than you love yourself.
So repent, for HIS KINGDOM is at hand. If not, you will perish.
Have a nice day.

Helen Thomas

So when you chose to deliberately rebel against the LORD, you chose death.
So repent, for HIS KINGDOM is at hand. If not, you will perish.
Have a nice day.

myopinion

PLEASE!!!! What do you expect Magic to say! He is not happy but the public will never know!

Tesla_Consulting

You wanted love? You found it.

Judy

Good for hiom ,he is backingup his son . This is the way it should be. Whatever your child is just remember that they did not choose to be this way, they were born that way and we are all Gods children, I am not going to have to answer to the big guy why I showed hate and contempt to His children. Too bad that all parents are not backing up their gay children,.

princesspr

Celebrity or not.....this is a man who LOVE his son! And that's all that counts!

princesspr

Celebrity or not, this is a man who loves his son! ---- That's all what counts!