Lauryn Hill

I Didn't Pay and Didn't Play

'Cause of Terrifying Threats

4/15/2013 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0412_lauryn_hill_01Lauryn Hill claims she stiffed Uncle Sam on a massive tax bill for the same reason she fell off the map after the '90s -- scary threats to her and her family.

Lauryn just filed legal docs asking for mercy before her sentencing later this month, claiming there was a good reason she failed to file tax returns for 2005, '06 and '07 ... when she earned a total of more than $1.8 million. She already pled guilty and faces several years in prison.

According to docs ... Lauryn stopped paying taxes "when she withdrew from society at large due to what she perceived as manipulation and very real threats to herself and her family."

She's not specific about the threats -- but it's a new explanation for her mysterious disappearance from the music scene after her rise to fame in the '90s.

Lauryn previously claimed she went underground to get back in touch with her musical roots.

Lauryn's asking the court to consider a bunch of other factors before her sentencing -- including her claim that she can pay off the debt much faster if she's not behind bars.

Lauryn is begging for probation.   A judge will be merciful -- or not -- on April 22.

0423_celebrity_tax_problems_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

brett

imagine that,you go public on how racist you are then you get death threats.i would have never guessed.one time

newsjunkie69

She disappeared because her career tanked. These excuses won't fly with the court. U can't screw Uncle Sam and get away with it!

friendlyone20

Of COURSE the judge will give her mercy, she is or was a celebrity after all. *rolls eyes*

C-DOGG

She will be safe in prison.

Ramal

I've searched the internet, tirelessly looking for this "claim" that Lauryn Hill is racist, and this is her "karma" -of possible jail time due to tax evasion- for stating she would rather "have her children starve than for white people to buy my album," and I CANNOT find it anywhere. However, I did find this:

"What I did say was that I love my people, black people, and I will continue to make music for them."
[Teen People, April 1999]
Lauryn insists she wants people to understand that her goal to improve the self-love of young African-American women should never be confused with advocating racial supremacy. "There are a lot of young black girls who I meet in my travels who don't have a lot of self-esteem," she explains. "So if I communicate to them that they're beautiful, no white person should find fault in that. It doesn't mean that young white girls aren't beautiful, because they are just as beautiful." Now if the statements above are genuine and sincere (expressing her views that supports the uplifting, self-love and positive impartations to a particular group or gender) is misinterpreted to be racist and continues to haunt and defame her character and brand, then EVERY philosopher, optimist, preacher, teacher, philanthropist, civil advocate, nurturer etc. (past, present and future) is at fault and we are ALL doomed to damnation. This is just a reminder of how self-devolving, negative, pessimistic, bigoted, sadist think. If you are unsure of something.....RESEARCH FOR YOURSELF.

"Whenever you have truth it must be given with love, or the message and the messenger will be rejected" - Mahatma Gandhi

Leslibraking

i hope the judge works with her so she won't have to go to jail. Hip Hop's been suffering since shes been gone ( too many wack ass rappers) but i feel her on not paying taxes cause if i could get away with it i wouldn't pay taxes either

Mary

Why is your 25 ugliest celebrities list okay? It is horrible...and is that not teaching people do be down right mean? Not cool.

Miseducated Man

Oh, shut up!!

ED

Lauryn,
Ypu made millions od dollars, won a Grammy, it don't get much better. I am sure you understand that you have to pay taxes when you earn money in in America. At any leverl $200 a week jon for $100.000 a week. You as well as every other person in Amercian that files a tax retuen has to sign it. The account is not at fault. You are, Wesley Snipes did not pay he did 3 years. Ypu shpudl of got more time to your sentence. There are tons of artists that are tryong to make it and they work real hard. You made it and you have no respect for yourself to allow this to happen. No excuse, I hope that 3 months in Jail wtil teach you a lesson. I am sure you will get put sooner. Al copone kills over 100 men, never got convicted for it. When he did not pay his ytaxes the got him. What makes you different. BTW: You are not evern in the same league as Roberta Flack. Your version of Killing me Softly is terriblle. Drawn out and lame....

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6