« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Active NBA Player

Jason Collins

I'M GAY

4/29/2013 8:18 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0428_jason_collins_01

Washington Wizards center Jason Collins -- who's been playing in the NBA since 2001 -- has revealed he's gay ... making him the first major active American male pro athlete to come out of the closet .

Collins revealed the news in an article for Sports Illustrated ... saying, "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."

He continued, "I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation."

Collins -- and his twin brother Jarron -- have been high profile athletes since high school ... when they were two of the highest rated prep players in the country.

They both went on to become standouts at Stanford ... and were each drafted into the NBA in 2001.

Jason says he didn't come out to his twin until last summer.  "I'm glad I can stop hiding and refocus on my 13th NBA season."

NBA stars Kobe Bryant and Tony Parker are rallying behind Collins, tweeting messages of support.  Kobe wrote, "Proud of @jasoncollins34. Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others." Tony added, "Really hope people will RESPECT Jason Collins for his decision to come out. Just glad he can now relax and not be afraid to be who he is."

Meanwhile, NFL player Mike Wallace made a homophobic comment.

0401-out-stars-footer-1

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

me

I wonder if his team mates still like to shower with him?

Mike

So what if he is gay he still stinks, what next? I have a relationship with small furry animals. Should that be a reason to be called a hero or to be kept on a basketball team even tho I could hit a barn with a basketball

ylie

I just wish people would keep their sexual identity to themselves at this point. When we see you with another man we will figure it out ugh. Heterosexual players don't disclose this, so why should others? I'm just saying, it's old now.

"Carlton"

What a disgrace and an embarrassment as an athlete! Homosexuality is not the right morally and ethically thing to do shame on you! You Homo's cannot force American people to accept this despicable, and disgusting an intolerable act!

Me Too

Here's to your bravery for coming out, Jason. All the best to you.

Mee

KOBE AND TONY HAVE NO FEAR of a coming out they HAVE NO BOY SON'S

vegas-mom-

Why is being gay in 2013 STILL an issue?!? Really? There is more sh!t in this world to worry about!!!

NOT ELMO

i'm sure Jason Collins has Lots of Female Fans too, He Should've just say He is BISEXUAL But never say He is GAY, Because Celebrities or Famous People have Lots of Fans of the Opposite Sex................i know it would kill me if i hear for example Emma Stone or Taylor Swift or Katy Perry saying they are Gay, if they say they are BISEXUAL i won't be too happy but i would accept it but if they say they are GAY i would be devastated...

Sylar

Gay or Straight.. Doesn't matter to me. But what ticks me off the most.. Why feel the need to come out and say it? Bottom line.. Next time he doesn't get the money he wants or his contract is not renewed.. He will claim.. "It's because I'm Gay".. I'm sick and tired of gay people "coming out" and feel this need to "admit" they are gay.. As if its some kind of disability!? No one gives a crap about your personal life! Celebrity or not.. Everyone knows that when it comes to work you leave your personal life at home.. You come to work and do your job! And of course right about now.. Anderson Cooper(who "admitted" he is gay) is covering the story.. Rachael Maddow(who also happens to be gay).. Coming on in a few.. Guarantee she will have to cover the "news" that this athlete had the bravery to come out and "admit" he is gay! Enough is enough! No one gives a crap! Go be gay on your own time.. This is news? What a joke!

cali323

Yeah!Yeah Jason your a true champ, you take it up your a$$ like a hero! Hurray!!!!Hurray. Your truly bettering humanity!

barbara

I am glad Jason was able to express who he is and now can live the life he wants without having to be something he is not. I just don't understand why it is OK for people to make fun of a person who says he is a Christian and mock him, and wish him nothing but bad, but celebrate another human being expressing who he is? And please, save the religious ranting for someone who cares. I don't care ether way, it just seems odd that bullying is OK for one group, but not another.

Rozz

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo over these big "coming out" announcements. Just shut up and love whomever you want to love!!! If you claim you want EQUALITY then stop making THE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT... You don't heterosexual people calling up camera crews to announce that theyre hetero do you????????????????!!!! Whats going to happen next is that any decision that doesnt go his way...all these little civil liberties groups are going to be writing their little petition and screaming discrimination...His announcement was not necessary bc we don't care who is in your bed...all we wanna know is will the Wizard ever get back to .500!

Pet rock

If you read the posters below it is easy why someone coming out is so important and challenging. He should be so proud of himself for finding the strength. The more love in this world the better :)

OwenTaylor

GOD HAS NO PLACE IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS!!! All those closed minded so called Christians out there shut the **** up! Just wait till your little ones grow up and say they're gay or lesbian. Bet a mill you will say something completely opposite. Damn psycho, lower case "t" worshipping Nazis.

Darth Kai

I was going to tell a gay joke, butt fuq it...