Kris Kross Rapper

Dead at 34

Drug Overdose Suspected

5/2/2013 6:24 AM PDT UPDATED: 5/2/2013 6:21 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

chris-kelly-kris-kross

6:21 AM PT -- Kelly had used a combination of cocaine and heroin the night before his death, this according to the police report obtained by TMZ.

5:53 AM PT -- Kelly’s death is being investigated as a drug overdose, so says Fulton County police Cpl. Kay Lester.

It's unclear what kind of drug or drugs officials believe Kelly had been using prior to his death.

An autopsy is set to take place later this morning.

Chris Kelly
-- one half of the iconic rap group Kris Kross -- died Wednesday in Atlanta after he was found unconscious at his Georgia home. He was 34.

Kelly was pronounced dead around 5:30PM EST at the south campus of the Atlanta Medical Center.

As part of Kris Kross, Kelly shot to super stardom in the '90s with the group's mega hit, "Jump."  They were also famous for wearing their clothing on backwards.

Back in February -- Kelly and his rap partner, Chris "Daddy Mac" Smith, reunited for a long overdue performance.

Kelly even appeared on TMZ Live -- and couldn't have been nicer.

050213_kris_kross_tmzlive_launch

Kelly's family released a statement saying, "It is with deep sadness that we announce that our beloved Chris Kelly has passed away on May 1."

"To millions of fans worldwide, he was the trendsetting, backwards pants-wearing one-half of Kris Kross who loved making music. But to us, he was just Chris – the kind, generous and fun-loving life of the party."

"Though he was only with us a short time, we feel blessed to have been able to share some incredible moments with him. His legacy will live on through his music, and we will forever love him."

0502-kris-kross-93-getty

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

SKiNET HD

Wow. Just another reminder of how short life is.

Toilethead

I'll almost bet it was a drug OD. I hope I'm wrong though.

monim

He was my favorite Chris. RIP

CoconutScrimp

What happened?? This came out of nowhere!

I can't say that I was a fan of the song but I remember it being HUGE back in the day! I also remember them from MJ's Jam video.

Throwback kid

Welcome to the party TMZ, I have been reporting this on your site for a half hour now. How can you not be up with this story but tell us about a broken window at Spagos? I scooped TMZ and broke this story to the TMZ readers first. I had to go to the comments section of that loser Lohan to report this

Sonja

Whatever the reason 34 is too young to just be found dead. Sad day for his family and friends.

Vegasgirl78

So sad! A part of my childhood just died.

Phoenicks

So wiggity wiggity wiggity wack

Tabby Catt

a little late TMZ but I bet we know when Kim k takes a ****

max

who??? and why (should we care)???

tonymelasa

RIP

what789

Rip! So sad.

Buckaroobonzai

the entertainment biz is poison.

Wow ...

OM, he was so young. RIP and thanks for making me Jump!!!

@luvonfiyah