Lil Wayne to Emmett Till Fam

I Won't Compare Sex to

Emmett's Murder ... Anymore

5/1/2013 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0501_lil_wayne_launchLil Wayne has APOLOGIZED to the family of Emmett Till ... saying he's sorry their feelings were hurt when he compared the brutal killing of the civil rights icon ... to having rough sex with a woman for a rap song.

Weezy came under fire back in February over a verse he dropped on the song "Karate Chop" ... in which he said, "Pop a lot of pain pills, 'bout to put rims on my skateboard wheels ... beat that p***y up like Emmett Till."

Quick history lesson -- Till was 14 back in 1955 when he was beaten beyond recognition, shot and dumped in a river ... after he was accused of flirting with a white woman in Mississippi. His open-casket funeral and murder trial were early flashpoints in the civil rights movement.

Till's family was outraged -- claiming the lyric "infected the Internet" -- and demanded Wayne apologize.

Now, Wayne has kinda sorta obliged ... saying in a letter to the Till fam, "It has come to my attention that lyrics from my contribution to a fellow artist's song has deeply offended your family."

He continues, "I would like to take a moment to acknowledge your hurt, as well as the letter you sent to me via your attorneys."

Translation -- I'm sorry you're offended.

Wayne does say, "As a father myself, I cannot imagine the pain that your family has had to endure."

He goes on to say he supports Epic Records' decision to remove the song from the web ... and that he'll never rap about Till again.

Wayne closes, "I have tremendous respect for those who paved the way for the liberty and opportunities that African-Americans currently enjoy."

MamaZ

Acknowledging something that he said has hurt the Till family is a FAR cry from an apology. TMZ please dont attribute an apology for Lil Wayne until one is actually given.

diamondsaredumb

I'm glad you published this story. This disfigured, so-called rapper thought it was appropriate at the time to make a "song" with these lyrics for a buck. Perhaps he didn't know the history of Emmit Till; I sincerely doubt Little Wayne knows much of anything outside of idiocracy, but someone on his team should have pulled him aside and told him how wildly inapproriate it would be to make this "song". Now it is time to really sends these bottomfeeding, untalented, hard-to-look-at, so-called artists a message through their wallets and BOYCOTT.

jslashk

Really?? Then why do you perpetuate these misogynistic lyrics, particularly towards African American women?? You're contributing to the bigotry you claim to despise. You get what you give.

ohyesidid

Dirtbag

Cao

Translation- His latest album isn't living up to expectations.

"Carlton"

What an incoherent Douche bag! :)

Toilethead

I really get tired of hearing about this goof.

TMZFan84

What an ass

angie

Now what would have happened if a white artist used those lyrics? While you have people trying to make race a non issue, you have African Americans like this low life diminishing the violent death of another African American.

Mandy

? Shouldn't those lyrics piss off all Black Americans? Why would he think that's OK? Idiot

mpenn6301

Every time rappers say the n word it is an insult to the african americans. White people can't say the word because it is racist but African americans can throw the word out in almost every verse in their music. That is why I have stopped listening to rap all together. I understand that it hurts the Till family but it is a reference in a song not a song about him.

noni

He is only saying that now, because the family was going to mess up his contract with mountains dew...#hedoesntmeanit

Mark

And we are to believe he writes in such an eloquent fashion, that these are his words? Pleeeeease.... I'm amazed people can believe this clap trap. What a guy!

GreyWolf

I bet he didn't even write that letter. This "rapper" is embarrassing and stupid. I wish the Till family would have sued the $hit out of him for anything they could find. Defamation of character, not getting their permission to use their son's name in a stupid rap song. Anything their attorney could think of. Lil Wayne sucks, and so does his music and I'm even surprised he has even heard of Emmett Till.

Fox

Only dumb ass rappers can degrade an entire race and gender in the same sentence and get paid for it.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments