'Naked and Afraid'

Snake Eats Producer's Foot

5/2/2013 12:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0501-naked-affraid-snake-bite
This may be the most disturbing thing you see in the month of May ... a deadly snake bit a TV producer in the foot ... and the damage is bone-chilling -- literally and figuratively.

WARNING:  If you have a weak stomach ... DO NOT CLICK HERE.

The zombie foot belongs to Steve Rankin ... a producer on the upcoming Discovery show "Naked and Afraid," which drops 2 nude survivalists in remote locations and films their struggle to stay alive.

Rankin tells TMZ ... "I was scouting locations in Costa Rica ... As I was traversing through some deep jungle I was bitten on the foot by a Fer-de-Lance. It's one of the deadliest snakes in the world and the fangs went right through my boot."

0501-fer-de-lance-2-1
Rankin says his team hustled him for 2 miles on a makeshift stretcher, drove to a helipad and had him airlifted to a San Jose hospital ... where he got antivenom and antibiotics. But things went horribly wrong ...

"About 5 days later the flesh in my foot had started to rot," he said ... surgeons in Costa Rica had to cut away a serious chunk of it ... he was then rushed back to L.A. for skin grafts. He says he's recovering nicely now.

South Side

OUCH!!!!

verlinda

Have seen worst

IowaDimples

Serves him right for being in a jungle scouting for a tv show. These reality shows are out of control. Naked survivalists?? Dumb!!!!!!!

Azi

Good thing he wasn't taking a leak.

RxQueen

I can't click there :(

Ed G

VENOMOUS!!! The snake is venomous, not poisonous! Sort your facts out.

Lucy

I hope this allows him to rethink his little reality show idea there.

Dennie

Ok, TMZ. That was not a pic of some snake bite; that was a pic of what doctors do to remove rotted flesh. If you're gonna warn people, warn appropriately. That was, umm, disgusting and not what people expect when looking for fang marks!

Jennifer

Why don't they let you click on certain stuff on your mobile devices?

SammyG

Omfg that was the craziest thing I ever saw wtf!

Maria (Kuba)

"Naked and Afraid," which drops 2 nude survivalists in remote locations and films their struggle to stay alive." My only question to that is.. WHY NAKED??? WTF?? Seriously? smh, it could have been worse, he could have gotten his man hood bitten! Just saying.

Glenda

Gnarly...

Danielle

I have been watching the Naked Castaway - interesting show, but I don't understand why he had to be naked, and now this.

Scary

It's a foot window...

bart

Here is the problem when you have these non union reality shows. Where there are no protections for the crew and the contestants. If this were a union show there are very strong safety rules in place. Nothing is perfect but these rules are better than no rules.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments