Slayer Guitarist Jeff Hanneman

Band Says Alcohol Abuse

Killed Rocker

5/10/2013 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0510_jeff_hanneman3
Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman died of alcohol-related cirrhosis -- scarring of the liver from years of heavy drinking ... this according to the band's official website.

The band posted a statement on its website ... saying, "While he had his health struggles over the years, including the recent Necrotizing fasciitis infection (AKA flesh-eating disease) that devastated his well-being, Jeff and those close to him were not aware of the true extent of his liver condition until the last days of his life."

"Contrary to some reports, Jeff was not on a transplant list at the time of his passing, or at any time prior to that. In fact, by all accounts, it appeared that he had been improving – he was excited and looking forward to working on a new record."

FYI -- Hanneman had several operations last year to remove dead tissue from his arm ... he believed he contracted the freaky, flesh-eating bacteria from a spider bite he suffered in a friend's hot tub.

Hanneman was the heart and soul of Slayer ... not only was he a HUGE guitar hero, but he also wrote several of their best-known songs, including "Raining Blood" and "Seasons in the Abyss."

Slayer is planning a public celebration of his life later this month ... but details are still being worked out.

HappYdayZ

This story brought me back,I man back! I use to love slayer when I was in high school!! I'm 37 now I banged my head to this when I was 15 where has the time gone!! Whew!

Hateyou

I created account Jeff did so much for rock Metal and chris from kriss kross had one song and he's a legend get real

Hateyou

Jeff Is The Man and he will probably get into RocknRoll hall of fame kriss kroosss what a joke

WolfPup

R.I.P. \m/\m/

Buddy The Elf

WTF?!?!
A musician died from too much drugs and alcohol you say?

Insane - why isn't mainstream top story news??

Junshin

Jeff and his wife used to come to Temecula and sit at my bar on Saturday afternoons and then go to the movies. He drank Coors Light. They were both super nice people and really low-key. He was courteous and classy. He didn't strike me as the type who would abuse alcohol, and he never overdid it. I know there's all sorts out there who can abuse the bottle, and it's a shame if this is indeed what killed him. RIP.

Phreaky

SLAYERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MadTatter

I've never listened to Slayer before. I went through a Sepultura faze awhile back though (similar?)...what album should I buy first guys/gals?

Toilethead

No crap? I never would have guessed.

Six Million Dollar Man

Looks just like Stuttering John from The Howard Stern Show.

Brittany

why the hell did they put "alcohol related cirrhosis when you can pretty much ONLY get cirrhosis from drinking?"

Jamoak

He did it to himself.... hard to feel sorry for him... sympathy to his family though

matthew

Yes some spiders can float,their is hep c type 1 liver failure,Still blows regardless and get have no mercy first u tube the stuff check it all out. SLAYER

liz

I am so sick of people labelling metal musicians as drunken and drug ridden degenerates! It really makes me want to puke . Look at bands like Iron Maiden those guys dont smoke or take drugs . In fact Bruce Dickinson is the most outspoken enemy of drug abuse . Iron Maiden has always been a band that has stood for living a clean lifestyle . THAT ALSO EXPLAINS WHY THEY , FOR THIRTY YEARS HAVE BEEN THE UNDISPUTED LEADERS AND ROLE MODELS OF THE HEAVY METAL MOVEMENT . but I ALWAYS LIKED SLAYER , THEY PUT ON A GREAT SHOW .

liz

People always want to slam heavy metal or rock music as some insidious influence . As though only rockers abuse drugs and alcohol . But the last I checked , Lindsay Lohan isnt a musician . Charlie Sheen isnt a musician . Reese Witherspoon isnt a musician . Keith Urban is a country singer . Hank Williams Junior is a country singer. So people stop ripping on metal their are weak people in the entertainment industry , not just in rock or metal~

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2