James Gandolfini

DIES IN ITALY

6/19/2013 6:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0619_james_gandolfini_died_death_Article
James Gandolfini -- who famously played Tony Soprano on "The Sopranos" -- died earlier today in Italy ... TMZ has learned.

Gandolfini is believed to have suffered a heart attack. He was 51.

Gandolfini was in Italy to attend the 59th Taormina Film Festival in Sicily -- and he was scheduled to participate in a festival event this weekend with Italian director Gabriele Muccino.

Gandolfini shot to fame playing a hitman in the 1993 hit "True Romance" ... and quickly became a Hollywood legend when he was cast as Tony Soprano in 1999.  He won 3 Emmy awards for the role during the show's 6 season run.

'Sopranos' creator David Chase tells TMZ ... "[James] was a genius. He is one of the greatest actors of this or any time.  A great deal of that genius resided in those sad eyes.  I remember telling him many times, 'You don't get it.  You're like Mozart.' There would be silence at the other end of the phone."

Chase added, "He was my partner, he was my brother in ways I can't explain and never will be able to explain.”

Gandolfini also appeared in a ton of huge movies including "Get Shorty," "The Mexican" and "Zero Dark Thirty."

We last spoke to Gandolfini in May in L.A. -- he was in great spirits, making funny faces and joking about a "Sopranos" movie.

061913_james_gandolfini_launch_v2
His 'Sopranos' co-star Joseph R. Gannascoli -- who played Vito -- tells us, "James is one guy who never turned his back on me. He was the most humble and gifted actor and person I have ever worked with ... and I will forever be indebted to him."

Gandolfini is survived by his wife Deborah Lin, who gave birth to the couple's daughter in October 2012. He also has a teenage son from a previous marriage. R.I.P.

0619_james_gandolfini_remembering_footer

Barbarascy

Fantastic actor. My heart goes out to his family and friends. RIP.

seamus

Wow this is a shock-great actor and by all accounts a decent person. RIP Mr.Gandolfini.

Reg

Wow, RIP Sir.

Vinny

basically he wanted you to **** off TMZ in that video clip.

LunarJunk

I was hoping this was just a hoax... RIP. So sad

KARMA K

RIP James! You will be missed! So very sorry to his family!

lola

SO, so sad about James. What a talent. no words left except SAD.

DrTyrell

That should buy Obama about 60 mins of silence. Then it's back to impeachment!

awards

RIP James! And Thanks!

Adam

RIP ... we all going to go there , some day , some times , death is inevitable .... we don't know when our day will arrive ....

ann

my he forever R.I.P. he will be missed

TOM HOLLEMAN

GOD BLESS HIM... R I P ...

bstill

It's hard to believe that such a picture of health w/such a big head would die of a heart attack!

Gary

OH NO!!! What a class act all the way around RIP my friend. Condolences to the family!!

Robin

omg, he is such a great entertainer, so sad for the family, condolences