Paula Deen

I've Used the N-Word

... But I'm NOT Racist

6/19/2013 11:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0619-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
11:52 AM PT -- Paula's rep issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

gray-bar-update
When Paula Deen was asked, under oath, if she has ever used the N-word -- she responded, "Yes, of course" ... and the shocking admission was all captured on tape.

Deen was being deposed in connection with a pending sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former employee who claims she was subjected to a barrage of racist, sexist and generally inappropriate comments while she worked at Paula's Oyster House restaurant in Georgia.

Here are the highlights from the jaw-dropping depo:

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?
Paula: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Sidenote -- Paula was held up at gunpoint during a bank robbery in 1986.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Paula: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Paula: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Paula: Probably in telling my husband.

Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?
Paula: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.

Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?
Paula: No.

Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?
Paula: No, no.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?
Paula: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?
Paula: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

We reached out to Paula for comment -- so far, no word back.

0619_paula_deen_through_years_footer

East_from_West

Anyone who reference's a rapper on their use of the n-word are just as stupid as the rappers that use it, considering the fact they are not a good prime example when delving in the source of the black community . No where in any way, shape, or form does that justify it, Its wrong no matter who say it or how it is said.

B_Lew

DrDave Good job with the whole generalizing the entire black community there, i've been hearing this since a kid! Honestly lol Let me ask you something, what are we not taking accountability for? I just like every one I know made it a mission to not be a " statistic".. I did 10 yrs USAF all while earning a BA. My mother And my aunts and uncles watched 15 nieces and nephews walk across college stages.. I think we deserve self entitlement. The opportunity that blacks get are not i repeat are not the same as whites, STILL! so yes, when we work for it we are entitled to it!. The number of black students in colleges are through the roof now a days, that sounds like a great start to a solution but still you tell us were our own worse enemy! why? What are we refusing to take responsibility for? The n word? You're generalizing us and I don't know why white people do that and then say its not bigoted . We weren't taught racism, we witnessed it. Case in point:this article... And That's good you know your history, and yes Jews have been getting the short end of the stick for thousands of years, but were in America so Lets stick with American history. So step down from this conservative soap box because like all conservatives you're not making factual points youre just saying how you feel and what you're perception of the black community is which is skewered . And for the record I never said I was African American anywhere! I'm black! And segregation was a great Idea, just poorly executed.

Badass2012

I'm not really surprised. She has a redneck accent. I'm not shocked at all.

rich

Drill her over the word ****** like its a ****in plague word!! Look at the black guy stomping on the flag the other day!! Excuses is ALL we heard!! Next!! Boy o boy if a white person says ******!! This country is going to the ****in toilet,,, With *******s who make this news!! Ya the woman suing should get millions for that!! **** OFF!!!
You care less about this country and this President who is spying and drowning this country!! Hey someone used the word ******!! NEWS FLASH!!!

vera

I am a black women and I don't believe Paula is a racist.if she was such a racist how come she embraces the black race-one of the ladies that stuck by her side in the beginning of her career is black lets stop making a big deal out of something she said in her past.I love her and have one of her cookbooks and will be keeping mine.love her southern voice.

astar

Vera u are an idiot.

everett4life

If u not a racist don't use the word at all point blank!!!!

melanie

i dont understand what is sooo jaw dropping, the fact that she used the n word or her admission to it.. If america thinks its going to have me believe that this word has been lost in the 60's then who's the real fool.. Racism is alive and well and it is going to outlive each and everyone of us.. " the media will have you hating the oppressed and loving the oppressors" do not b fooled about this wonderful place america it was built on lies deceit and lots of bloodshed... nothin has changes they just found new ways to manifest it... thats it and thats all....

justice

Paula, please go fry your big azzz in a tub of butter and sprinkle it with powdered sugar. You've made enough money. Stop looking for cheap publicity.

Thinkb4

First off if you look at the contents you can tell she is a racist. The side is not her using the n word but look at the way she refers to black people as blacks as if black people are a different species.

KardashianHater

there is HATE among all races. just because the word ****** is used does not mean we are racists. blacks need to get over that damn word! it's been used to describe ya'll for many centuries, grow some balls.

austin

The lgbt can call each other gay or a *** and all these other things but u can't say them to them
and last time i checked some white folks still call
each other CRACKER. Don't be mad you cant say the N word in public because im sure you say it all the time just like paula did i can say more but who cares yall MAD because you can't say it the word will never EVER stop being used by black people AND wake up call not oly black people use is all types of nationalities use depends were your at they jus don't put the ER on it being races like most people

Usagal

Butter brain.....

sasha

WHY is the focus on just the "N" word?! the deen family made racial slurs towards every race but for some reason the media wants to stress the issue and focus in on just the african american race being sensitive to paula using the "N" word! lets not forget that the accuser is a female caucasian not a "N" word who is also suing for sexual harassment which EVERYONE has overlooked and the "N" word is just the cherry on top of her american apple pie that is going to help her get a $lice of non-discriminatory heaven!so before everyone comments about how blacks use the "N" word towards each other,blacks are so insensitive but are the biggest racists themselves and my favorite Obama is to blame lets not forget that none of her "N" employees that she wanted to be slaves in her wedding are suing,it is her caucasian former supervisor who wants to take caucasian paula deen to the bank!.i myself being a african american love a good "N" word joke every now and again from any race b/c i myself am very proud of who i am and a joke doesn't define me but as with anything said its all about the intention people with a dose of hidden agenda ! ! so before we post comments rereading the story would do us all some good and maybe you may have overlooked the other racial jokes that might make you 'insensitive' as well!

sasha