Paula Deen

I've Used the N-Word

... But I'm NOT Racist

6/19/2013 11:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0619-paula-deen-tmz
update_bar
11:52 AM PT -- Paula's rep issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable. She is looking forward to her day in court.”

gray-bar-update
When Paula Deen was asked, under oath, if she has ever used the N-word -- she responded, "Yes, of course" ... and the shocking admission was all captured on tape.

Deen was being deposed in connection with a pending sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former employee who claims she was subjected to a barrage of racist, sexist and generally inappropriate comments while she worked at Paula's Oyster House restaurant in Georgia.

Here are the highlights from the jaw-dropping depo:

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?
Paula: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Sidenote -- Paula was held up at gunpoint during a bank robbery in 1986.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Paula: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Paula: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Paula: Probably in telling my husband.

Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?
Paula: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.

Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?
Paula: No.

Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?
Paula: No, no.

Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?
Paula: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.

Lawyer: Like a joke?
Paula: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

We reached out to Paula for comment -- so far, no word back.

0619_paula_deen_through_years_footer

Carmen

Tmz need to post the whole transcript. She's not only talking about blacks but the lawyer asked her is it okay to make jokes about any racial group (blacks, jews, and gays, ect ect) she said yes they're just jokes.

joy

Suprised she even said "blacks" as opposed to African Americans.. Bcuz of that alone, I don't doubt she uses the N word a lot more than shes admitting..

mugadoon

No group of people walks in historical purity. We have ALL done horrible things to other people. If we sat down and settled the score, we'd all have to pay something to someone else. All the wrongs done in humanity can NEVER be righted, so the only thing you can do now is to try and live together as much as possible. There will always people that throw out the race, gender, or sexual orientation card arbitrarily- which makes it much more difficult for those experiencing REAL discrimination.

Racism, sexism, some sort of ism will ALWAYS exist. Anyone who says they aren't prejudice is a liar. There's nothing wrong with believing what you believe behind closed doors, you just have to remember that those stereotypes, when enforced as law, practiced in renting out homes, preference in jobs, or admission to school, etc... is ILLEGAL and WRONG.

If she wants to be racist... it's her life. If you don't like her way of life, don't buy her products, watch her shows, or support her causes. But before you go around saying what a hateful person she is, ask yourself how many derogatory things YOU say about obese people, those with disabilities, those that don't speak YOUR language, a little person, someone with traits you don't like. All of those "jokes" you tell are no different than someone saying the "N" word. We all do it, but that doesn't make us hateful people.

DollyDagger

Sorry, but uttering the word doesn't make you a racist. It's a word, albeit an unpleasant word, but just a word, nonetheless.

Stratcat

So what if she's said it? Rappers are always claiming "First Amendment" to defend all the hate speech THEY use, so why isn't ****** covered? **** political correctness!

Patrick

I'm guilty of using the H word. Take me off the jury pool.

justice

The only time I have ever heard the "N" word and continue to hear the word is when Blacks use it themselves towards each other either when they are cursing each other out or performing rap"music".

justice

Donna

I have used the N word and anyone that says they havent are liars.

Justice

Snickerdoodle

As the great Tim Minchin once said "only a ginger can call another ginger ginger!"

Asoil

Oh big deal, there is nothing wrong with using the word ******, unless you are calling a specific person one. I've used that word all my life when referring to myself and others in my family and I am white (i.e. Do it yourself, I'm not your ******). People need to stop being so sensitive. Its only a word. Sticks and stones.

Garrison

I wonder whether if this would have even garnered a nod if this was reversed. I wonder what the answer(s) would be if you asked say, Judge Joe Brown or Judge Mathis were to be asked under oath if they ever referred to a white person as a cracker or honky, etc.? Derogatorily or not. Would they be totally honest? It wouldn't even been given a second thought if it matter of a white person possibly being offended.

Louise

on my job at the gas company i was called white bitch, honky, by the n's but did i cry, hell no . i got enough one day and told my boss to stop the truck and i would whip the black ass of the girls that kept after me. that stopped all of it.

Doc Suggs

Language has power only if when we assign it. As Frank Zappa told Tipper Gore: "These are just words, man." Quoting geniuses like Mark Twain and Richard Pryor should not offend anyone.