Paula Deen

My N-Word Excuse ...

I'm Old

6/20/2013 10:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0620_paula_deen_article_tmzPaula Deen is using the "I'm from the South" excuse to justify her use of the N-word ... saying that when she grew up, dropping an N-bomb was no big deal because everyone was racist.

Paula Deen Enterprises just issued the following statement to TMZ ... "During a deposition where she swore to tell the truth, Ms. Deen recounted having used a racial epithet in the past, speaking largely about a time in American history which was quite different than today."

FYI -- the "time" Paula admitted to using the N-word was 1986!!!!!

Anyway, the statement continues ... "[Paula] was born 60 years ago when America's South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today."

"To be clear Ms. Deen does not find acceptable the use of this term under any circumstance by anyone nor condone any form of racism or discrimination. "

As we previously reported, Deen admitted using the N-word during a sworn deposition stemming from a lawsuit ... in which the chef and her brother are accused of using offensive language at Paula's restaurant in Georgia.

elizabeth

Because it's wrong for Paula to use the"N" word... I really don't want to hear it from anyone else. I don't care to hear it in music, comedy or anywhere.

Ann

Lame excuse at best. You know it is not acceptable and yet you use your age as an excuse. No excuse to be racist.

Just_Me

She's just a dumb redneck that knows how to cook ...nothing more.

Tami

And for those of u who are unfamiliar with how black people actually use the word, as I said in a previous comment, not all black people use the word and also, most people use the word n***a, which (though u may not understand this) is not meant in the same way as ni**er, my point is, the word that most of you are referring too which is n***a is used to describe a man, ANY MAN of any race! just had to through that in there #slang 101

summer days

In the meantime, I hear that word said, actually yelled, countless times riding the NYC subway - from blacks and Latinos. Go figure.

TheTruth

Sure is a lot of racist people in here.

patricia

Well BITCH!!!!!! its 2013

islanddog324

Look if anybody uses the n word its wrong because of the history behind it. Slavery was a black mark on society and there are so my more like the Indians, Chinese, Italians, and about every culture that has been abused.
On the n word we need to stop is the African Americans who use this term as a greeting. This is not a proper way to use their history and offensive to their culture I think. It is expected by their culture and society for everyone else not to use this term but for them its OK, I think not. It is in their music, comedy, and movies. Paula Dean was wrong in using it to but it was relating to the very times this kind of language and abuse toward this culture was excepted social behavior. Racial comments are never right to use from any culture. It is to bad we have made them funny and excepted in our entertainment.
Paula Dean is a good person and the comments were said when something like that was a passing phrase. Now it should never be used by anybody including the culture it is being said about.

B4-I-FU-RU-18?

This is stupid! Blacks to Blacks. Wad up n/i/g/g/a? I sure don't hear Jews calling each other h/i/m/e/y. Or Hispanics calling each other w/e/t/b/a/c/k/s. Or Chinese calling each other c/h/I/n/k. Yet! Blacks say Nig to each other ,but get up in arms when people call them that. LOL! Yawn! NEXT!

Kabala

She keeps digging herself deeper and deeper.

Choade McPooter

Anything You can do, I can do better.... It is nothing! People teach other people how to view them. Plenty of Black men and women go by Mister and Mrs., Ms., whatever... it is when a young black man who thinks the word "nickel" is creative and keeps perpetuating an ugly word that it becomes ridiculous. It is not a black word being owned, it is an ugly word to make progressive white people uncomfotable. Racism existists because of this. We have an almost-black president because the majority is open minded and want to heal the division. Quit saying niqqer. Niqqer is not a good word to any color.

Sandra

This loud mouth with her exaggerated southern drawl is a pain in the ass and I believe her accuser!! No excuse for racist behaviour and this is not the first time Paula has been accused of abusive behaviour! Time for her to be dumped by the food network

burning_plastic

Mel Gibson said it best. "I hope you get _____ by a pack of _____" Paula. Cheers.

Shawna

Most "old" people don't actually think they're "racist" though. My grandpa used to say it once in a while to describe people. We used to correct him and say "You can't say that word" but back when he grew up it was segregated and that's just how they talked. We know better now, But back then that's how it was.

Jason

If there is one person who says they never in their life used that word under any context, they are a liar, including that attorney who grilled her...