Paula Deen

My N-Word Excuse ...

I'm Old

6/20/2013 10:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0620_paula_deen_article_tmzPaula Deen is using the "I'm from the South" excuse to justify her use of the N-word ... saying that when she grew up, dropping an N-bomb was no big deal because everyone was racist.

Paula Deen Enterprises just issued the following statement to TMZ ... "During a deposition where she swore to tell the truth, Ms. Deen recounted having used a racial epithet in the past, speaking largely about a time in American history which was quite different than today."

FYI -- the "time" Paula admitted to using the N-word was 1986!!!!!

Anyway, the statement continues ... "[Paula] was born 60 years ago when America's South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today."

"To be clear Ms. Deen does not find acceptable the use of this term under any circumstance by anyone nor condone any form of racism or discrimination. "

As we previously reported, Deen admitted using the N-word during a sworn deposition stemming from a lawsuit ... in which the chef and her brother are accused of using offensive language at Paula's restaurant in Georgia.

Previous 15 Comments | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17

Anita

I am a Polish American and was called " Stupid Polock" growing up and no one ever said " Don't use the "P' word, My family never tried to benefit from attaining sympothy from a name.

Joyce Terrell

So now it is Paula Deen's "turn in the barrel". The news media has to have someone to pick on and now it is her turn. It doesn't matter what the subject is. The media doesn't care what she said, no one really cares what she said. People say things and they always have. Whites say things, and blacks say things. Everyone gets offended, we only hear about the blacks. In a hundred years from now, no one will care. As a matter of fact, after they strip her reputation to the bare bones, the media will move on to some other poor character and chop them up for something they said that no one gives a rat's a.. about. The blacks don't care. They are too busy whining about what the white's did to them in the south. The people who made them slaves are dead and the slaves are dead, and if they had not come over here, they would be running around in a skimpy little garb around their loins instead of their pants hanging down around their knees and their shorts showing. I'm not a racist,. I'm just sick of the media trying to get people riled up over stuff because they need a story for the news or else. Personally, I like Paula Deen and I think it took a lot of courage for her to overcome all the years that she could not leave her home because of her phobia. And now the media wants to destroy her. Instead of being encouraging to her because she worked her way out of all she's been through and able to make a good living, you try to take it away from her. She could have been like some and sat on her a.. and drawn welfare and had food stamps and used the money for expensive purses and cell phones. Don't get me started!

Joyce Terrell

Joveeta Hick

I was ok with Paula but when she said she wanted a plantation wedding for her brother with only blacks serving, i knew she longed for the good old days of slavery. who cares about the end word? My late husband beat up a white man for calling him that. we are in our 60's so we know the deal.

Joyce Terrell

b003

Yeah Old People filter broke.

Mark A

I am sick over hearing people complaining about the "N" Word. Yes, Paula Deen said she used it, she admitted using it in the past. It seems like the media is wanting to bring her down for saying it. Yes it's perfectly OK for Rappers to say it along with other 4-5-6 letter words. I came across a TV Station the other day and it was totally disgusting what they were saying. N..., Bit..., WH...r..., You dont/shouldnt have to be a mind reader to know what I'm talking about. Look, its like this. If you get so upset when people say it, QUIT PROMOTING IT in your songs that our young people are listening to. All your doing is allowing the word to carry on and giving it more meaning and more power. It shouldnt be OK for ANYONE to say it.

marclynns

Let's. Not forgetblacks and whites just started to go to school together in the early 60's. So that's not that long ago . who cares if the slaves and their "masters" are dead its called teaching . racism is taught so yes i am offended by her use of the N word . are you from georgia .? i am and lets just say if a white person uses that word its not ina nice way at all .

Gayle

I agree 100% with Thomas, the caller from San Antonio, Tx. TMZ sandbagged Paula Deen. You blew this story up, then claim you're justified because her "PR" people did a bad job. REALLY-- TMZ you perpetuated the 'Paula is a racist' line and you're partially responsible for the deplorable outcome Ms. Deen is now facing. This woman answered a question posed at a deposition truthfully. She was not using the 'N-bomb', and the video you showed of her bodyguard only went to illustrate the close, natural and normal relationship Paula has with her black employee(s). You are so out of line. You know, I'm sick of hearing the 'N-word' on rap and urban albums--you ready to destroy their business, brand/image? Or, is it, and I could not believe you all tried to justify rappers, etc., use of the 'N-bomb' by saying they change the last letter of the word from "r" to "a" and that an "a" makes it ok.

Artemis Rose

I was born 68 years ago and raised in the south.
While I agree racism against blacks in the south were far worse than the still-existing racism of today, nevertheless, there were white folks like myself, a small minority of whites, I am sorry to say, who did NOT support or participate in this racism.

I moved out of the south, Florida, in 1971, and after the Civil Rights movement, because I didn't want to raise my sons in the racist bigoted south.

The White and Colored signs came down, but nothing really changed. The "N" word is still used against blacks, and also as a derogatory adjective or adverb.

The south is full of white Christians, talk about hypocrisy!

Todd

Paula made a mistake and unfortunately was taught such actions through a fear based race consciousness. However, we all grow and learn and make more loving choices through such growth. Burning her at the stake does not solve anything, only breads resentment and hate. There are few people in this world if any that do not engage in poor choices so chill out folks and give the lady a chance by spreading some love.

Previous 15 Comments | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17