Paula Deen

My N-Word Excuse ...

I'm Old

6/20/2013 10:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0620_paula_deen_article_tmzPaula Deen is using the "I'm from the South" excuse to justify her use of the N-word ... saying that when she grew up, dropping an N-bomb was no big deal because everyone was racist.

Paula Deen Enterprises just issued the following statement to TMZ ... "During a deposition where she swore to tell the truth, Ms. Deen recounted having used a racial epithet in the past, speaking largely about a time in American history which was quite different than today."

FYI -- the "time" Paula admitted to using the N-word was 1986!!!!!

Anyway, the statement continues ... "[Paula] was born 60 years ago when America's South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today."

Old people can be racist

"To be clear Ms. Deen does not find acceptable the use of this term under any circumstance by anyone nor condone any form of racism or discrimination. "

As we previously reported, Deen admitted using the N-word during a sworn deposition stemming from a lawsuit ... in which the chef and her brother are accused of using offensive language at Paula's restaurant in Georgia.

Bonnie

Why the hell is this being blown out of proportion....what is up with this crap? If she were black calling someone a cracker or honky not a damn thing would be said....it's okay for African Americans to use slang words for any other race but let a white person do it and everyone is trying to tar and feather them. Get a damn life and stop judging people and stop trying to be so politcally correct!

uliar

You can't control what people say or think. If you don't agree, just don't support. Simple.

poli sigh

I'm 60-years-old from the South and I have never ever used the N word. No excuse.

tenaj

being old is not an excuse for being racist. just because it was a different time still doesn't make it right. paula deen you should be ashamed of yourself....racist prick

justjuice

it wouldnt be okay in a court of law to say she beat someone up because she was born in a different time, this should be no different. Its an excuse to keep her empire going and thats it.

momofthree

Excuse me. Is everyone conveniently forgetting that every black comedian and rapper use the word all day every day? She was being funny and was obviously comfortable enough with the people she was with to use it in a joking way. This situation is extremely overblown unless you expect every human being on the face of the planet to stop using it and hold everyone to the same standards.

Daniel W.

I'm Black, African-American, Colored etc.
I've had to work with a lot of old fashioned people black and white. Paula has a point. There are blacks and whites that will say things that are horribly racist sounding and they don't even realize it.

mytime99

What are some words that we can use to describe racist white folks???

LSUTigersFan

The South, particularly in the 50's and 60's, was a very different place than it is now. While it was not right, blacks were treated differently and often badly. So into this environment Ms. Deen is born, and use of the "N" word was likely very common in Ms. Deen's childhood and youth. So assuming Ms. Deen used the word in that period, it would not be uncommon; in fact, in most circles it was socially acceptable. I'm not defending it, I'm only trying to add perspective to those decades.

And regarding the bank robbery in 1986, speaking only for myself, I can easily understand someone losing their composure and saying things that are out of character or unusual as they tell or relive the cir***stances. If most people are honest, I think they would admit to using a derogatory term in those cir***stances whether the assailant were white, black, hispanic, asian, italian, swedish, icelandic, etc, etc. Whether we care to admit it or not, fear and/or anger bring out emotions and reactions most people are unaware they possess.

So in general, give this lady a break. If Paula no longer uses the term, let that sleeping dog lie.

Ashley

Using history as an excuse is not acceptable what so ever! She is old enough to know better.

Priorities

I really don't see why people care about this....

wtf

People should NEVER use the N-Word unless it's REALLY necessary, like when a N-word is acting like those N-words chris brown or chief queef.

NJ

I am highly confused why Deen is not eating praised. Most would lie, especially when this could hurt her court case. A black person stuck a gun to her head and she went home and told her husband this crazy ni**er robbed me today. She is human and honest. I never cared for her now, but as of today I am a Deen fan.

saveless

Too confusing: any "N" word with a or e should not be said. I don't allow anyone in my family to say either. There just is no positive on either.

Rob

ANYBODY can be racist if they want to you totalitarians! This is, or at least used to be, a free country!