Paula Deen

My N-Word Excuse ...

I'm Old

6/20/2013 10:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0620_paula_deen_article_tmzPaula Deen is using the "I'm from the South" excuse to justify her use of the N-word ... saying that when she grew up, dropping an N-bomb was no big deal because everyone was racist.

Paula Deen Enterprises just issued the following statement to TMZ ... "During a deposition where she swore to tell the truth, Ms. Deen recounted having used a racial epithet in the past, speaking largely about a time in American history which was quite different than today."

FYI -- the "time" Paula admitted to using the N-word was 1986!!!!!

Anyway, the statement continues ... "[Paula] was born 60 years ago when America's South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today."

"To be clear Ms. Deen does not find acceptable the use of this term under any circumstance by anyone nor condone any form of racism or discrimination. "

As we previously reported, Deen admitted using the N-word during a sworn deposition stemming from a lawsuit ... in which the chef and her brother are accused of using offensive language at Paula's restaurant in Georgia.

figureditout

Actually I do not care about racism, it is what it is and will always be. What I do care about is the constant debate about racism while our the government and the rich keep voting in laws that keep the poor, poor and a womans body something that can be legislated by men. Racism is just a topic to keep folk divided and diverted while they rob us blind and make ridiculous laws that tell a woman what she can and can not do with her body.

Matt

this is America she can say what ever the **** she wants. It's two way street, you say we should allow all that garbage in hip hop for free speech so she has the right to express herself too.

joe joe

One day saying the word "***" will be as bad as saying the "n" word. Growing up in the 90's, using the word *** didn't have any correlation with actually being gay.

rphilli72

Good grief people. Least you be judged by a word or comment or something wrong you did 10/20/30 years ago. Grow up and use your intellect for once instead of posting these lazy comments I see in here.

By the way, a very large percentage of caucasian population has uttered the N word at one time or another for whatever reason, which doesn't automatically mean they are racist or bigots either. There is really nothing here except a person getting grilled for being honest.

Tina

It is almost 30 years ago. People need to back the f*&k off. Those without sin cast the first stone. Tell me black people don't call white people honky or redneck but that is a ok. Everything was different 30 years ago. She is not a racist.

Js Zee

No excuse Paula! Now the same foaming-at-the-mouth media and NAACP needs to attack the c-rappers who use the N word on a regular basis. Or else there is a clear bigoted double standard. Yes?

Margaret E Hale

It amazes me that people are all about her using the N word but you do not hear about the robber being wrong. Also have all of those African Americans never used a racially derogatory term for white people.

Daren

I'm not a Paula Deen fan at all. But she has a point.

I was born in '72 in Oklahoma. Growing up we had different names for slingshots and "ding dong ditching" that were terribly inappropriate. But I honestly had no clue it was inappropriate. Everyone called it that.

I'm sure I knew the word was derogatory but I put it in the same class as stupid or idiot -- not a nice thing to say about someone but something that everyone says nonetheless.

It was until the OJ trial that I realized how people outside of my small community saw the word.

Maria galla

If it so offensive how come its not in the seven words you don't use on tv

Gdub

Everyone, from any background, regardless of color, religion, sex, has racist tendencies in them. It's human nature, as we evolve through time, we do get better. It was a long time ago, give her a break!

Maria galla

Using the N word is not if you are black. It's all races it means filth nothing more nothing less
I am sick of race card

Ronald Richard

I don't think she should receive any flag unless it was used in a derogatory sense. I have mixed emotions on this topic, especially when African Americans subject themselves to the use of this word in certain types of music and topic choice. And one of the team members needs to slow her role, its funny how every solitary time there is something racist on tmz they put her one the tv say racist this racist that, calm down obviously your going to feel this way your african american yourself. YOU AND YOUR AUNTIE NEED TO CHILL. Paula Deen is ignorant and old, stop wasting your time honey getting all huffy and mad on tmz.

Rob

Come on, give her a break. The only difference between her and 90% of the other Southerners, including the blacks and hispanics, is that she will admit it. Just keep your eyes and ears open and you will see it and hear it coming most often with a smile and under the cover of a joke. If the person is 20 or older you can bet that it's still alive and well, especially in the churches.

TMZ needs to find another subject to deal with because this one is not going away until all those over twenty die off.

The blacks call each other the "N" word and become offended if anyone else uses it. They don't trust the white people generally and can't really blame them either. They are just as racist as the white people.

Judge each person individually and forget about anything except their character. Ones no better than the other.

Better clean out your own closet before you start judging others.

kat

well, yesterday a person of color was riding his motorcycle down a crowded street in my city, and he was BLARING a rap song with multiple uses of the "N" word AND the "F" word. Why was that ok? I was offended.

DT

Why didn't she just say that she is from Georgia or the South and that, yes, she is old and cannot and will not change even if it does mean less money from her businesses.