Cory Monteith

Cremated

Father 'Devastated'

7/17/2013 12:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0715_cory_monteith_article_tmz_3
Cory Monteith
's body was cremated Tuesday in Vancouver following a private viewing with his family and girlfriend Lea Michele, TMZ has learned -- but Cory's father wasn't invited ... and he's heartbroken.

Cory's dad Joe Monteith -- who is divorced from Cory's mom Ann -- tells TMZ ... he was informed of the cremation after the fact, adding he's "totally devastated" he didn't get a chance to see Cory's body.

We're told Cory's body was released yesterday to his mom, and she decided to hold a viewing at the hospital with Lea and Cory's brother Shaun. Following the viewing, we're told Cory's mom decided to have him cremated.

Cory's dad tells us, "I always loved both my sons and am going to miss Cory very very much. I'm saddened at the fact that I couldn't have been there to see my son before he was cremated."

As for Cory's alleged heroin use ... his dad says he's "shocked."

0717_CORY_remembering_footer

Crystal

The father doesn't need to be invited, he has the right to be there because he's a family. If somebody complaints, call 911 or sue them for .

melinda

I had a family member die of an overdose a 26 years old.I would never denied any of friends,family or anyone that wanted to come to the service.That was just plain cold hearted.To the less than understanding people running their mouths about drug addicts...you probably don't have a clue about addicts.Learn a few things before you start making judgements and calling people names.

DRN

I think that not right, if his mother don`t let his father see him last time. It`s horrible..
And, someone who writing bad comments doesn`t understand how hard it for Cory`s family. And when you`ll have the same situation I think u won`t like if someone will write something bad. A lot of people love him, and for them it`s a big lose. Rip Cory,,,

sbcalmow

I get that she may be in shock, but what she did was terrible and cold heart-ed. Whatever the reasoning it may have been, she should have waited for his father to see the body. Gross.

nevermore

That was unnecessarily cruel to a surviving parent. I lost an adult son, and although the divorced father and I never see eye to eye on anything, and the son was estranged from the father, I would never deny him the opportunity to say his last goodbyes to his only son, because of issues between us.

kitnplayn

What a cruel thing to do to his father. No matter what the conflicts were, that was his son. I get that the father was absent growing up, but he was in the military.
Job 1 - Get the dealer that sold him the heroin, then arrest the government for selling him the alcohol.

spader

The drug problem suddenly makes total sense.

Janeylaur

Interesting Mother made this decision without consulting his brother or Lea - granted the body was handed over to her, but still they should have an input on the decision. Is this an indication of maybe why Cory first got hooked on drugs after his parent's divorce - a nasty/vindictive mother? We're all speculating right now though, however if ever there was a time to put right the past and have a positive lasting memory of Cory, now would be the time.

sammi

What a Bitch.

andrew

well the fact that his dad ran to tmz to give a statement about it, probably is a good indicator why he wasnt asked to be there..

HoTMZ

Unless the father lived under a rock on Mars he knew his son died and shouldn't wait for an invitation fom his estranged wife to take a flight to Vancouver! He has loser written all over him, not like the mother waited for the father to fly up then invite her!!!!

Bkbx3

I'm sorry but that is completely wrong, and selfish and i would call her every name in the book right now,, but im not cause you know what im not a heartless Bitch like she seems to be, She needs to think how would she feel if they didnt include her,, That was his father, I hate woman like that,

TexasBlonde

Shame on Cory's mom for being a heartless, evil person. You do not do that to your child's father. Karma is going to be a *itch.

jealous of kate

While this was CRUEL if Cory's mother REALLY DID THIS to Cory's father............His Father supposedly surprised about Cory's heroin use? You have to wonder how close and when was the last time he saw Cory.There is a LOT MORE TO THIS STORY.. then TMZ or others are carrying... so, TMZ was his father 'family' or a sperm donor???

dierdre

It sounds like his family is very disfunctional. Sad, his father could not be there. Don't get how he was surprised about his addiction. I feel bad for Lea Michele, the girlfriend. She probably knew all along he was into the drugs, tried to help, but we all know the ending.