Rolling Stone

Boycotting Our Cover is a

Boycot of the Constitution

7/17/2013 11:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0717_rollingstone_bomberBostonians upset by the new Rolling Stone cover -- featuring Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev -- need to grow up and learn from the tragedy that rocked their city ... according to the magazine's editors.

The editors just released a statement, saying their hearts go out to the Boston bombing victims -- but "the cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone's longstanding commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage."

The statement continues, "The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens."

In other words, we're exercising our 1st Amendment rights to investigate a terrorist -- so, stop burying your heads in the sand, people.

As we reported, CVS and the Boston-based Roche Bros. supermarkets have boycotted the latest issue of the magazine because of its controversial cover ... saying it's disrespectful to the victims.

0422_boston_marathon_bombing_footer

jct

This is irresponsible of the s*** at RollingStone mag. 2 people died and 260... were injured including my good friend who lost her leg! What a pathetic way to try to boost sales by putting a weasle like him on the cover and making him look like a rock star. Pathetic!!!

james

The sad thing about all this stupidity about This piece of sh!t magazine is people will go out and buy it to read this story about this piece of sh!t kid who killed Americans, who by the way may have read this rag. I SAY BOYCOTT ALL SPONSORS WHO PAY TO THESE MEDIA OUTLETS..

Patti

I understand what Rolling Stones is saying...but in no way did he need to be on the COVER!

NE1

Eh I still don't get it. If there was any tie to music it would make more sense. But whatever I don't buy Rolling Stone anyway.

Michaela

Remember the song 'cover of the Rolling Stone' by Dr. Hook?

For most musicians it has been seen as a prize or a trophy to have landed the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine.

So, by putting the bomber on the cover, RS has given him power and prestige.

That's so wrong

Lindy

Rolling Stone like all other magazines is trying to make money and they don't care who they hurt to get it.

Metatron

Rolling Stone sucks. Who's next---Adolph Hitler?

Brooke

I understand they wanted to do a story on the bomber which I feel is great. The issue is did they have to choose his photo as the highlight of the cover. There were many other photos I am sure they could have chosen from that day and no matter what they say it is irresponsible to highlight him.

Becky

Rolling Stone made him look like a sexy rock star. He murdered people, including an 8 year old little boy. Shame on you Rolling Stone!!

static

Who reads that rag anyway?

chris

Making the Cover was STUPID.
Thinking that people want to hear Political opinions from Old & Young Drugged out Music fans is Stupid.

Telling people that You think we should Grow Up and value your opinion just cost you many readers.

The Madd Gabber

I am in Massachusetts and I am truly disgusted by Rolling Stone. They make him sound like a victim, “How a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam and became a monster.” ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!? I live a city over from where he and his brother were chased as they throw home made bombs from their vehicle. I was locked up in my home for a whole day as they searched for him. I am sorry but putting him on a cover this magazine, sensationalizing him, making a victim and thinking that people of Boston should grow up makes me sick!

Chuck

What a douche publication...It hasn't been relevant for years. I guess they are trying to stir a pot to make it seem relevant. it will not work.

knockknock

The problem isn't the cover picture or the story on him. Many magazines have done the same. The difference is they have obviously sexualized and glamourized the photo to appeal him to teen girls. They took the "cutest" photo of him and ran it through the rock star filters, coming up with a photo that portrays him as a teen heartthrob, not an admitted disgusting child murderer.

Openfly

Who will be on the cover of the next issue...Martin or Zimmerman? Anyway past covers have featured pinko commies aka Rock and Roll icons.