Paula Deen

I Did NOT Dress Up Black Chef Like Aunt Jemima

7/25/2013 8:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0725_PAULA_DEEN_TMZ2Paula Deen is calling BS on a former chef who claims Deen made an African-American employee dress up like Aunt Jemima ... claiming the chef is crying racism in a pathetic money grab.

The woman behind the allegations is Dora Charles -- who ran Deen's kitchens for 22 years and helped open Paula's famous Lady & Sons restaurant in Georgia.

Charles spoke with the New York Times -- and claimed Deen wouldn't just use racial slurs in the kitchens, but wanted to dress up her employees as humiliating stereotypes.

Among the allegations, Charles says Deen tried to make her ring a dinner bell for restaurant customers ... something Charles felt was racially charged.

"That's a symbol to me of what we used to do back in the day," Charles said.

Charles also claims Deen tried to make another black female employee, Ineata Jones, dress up in an "old style Aunt Jemima outfit" while flipping hoecakes at a dining station.

But Deen says ... she's not only confident Charles is making the whole thing up -- but claims on July 6, Jones signed a legal document saying she had never felt discriminated against and never heard Deen spout racial slurs during her employment.

Charles has not filed a lawsuit, but claims she wants to get her story out so everyone will know the real Paula Deen.

Deen's camp fired back in a statement saying, "Dora's complaint is not about race but about money. It is about an employee that despite over 20 years of generosity feels that she still deserves yet even more financial support from Paula Deen."

Of course, Deen has previously admitted that she used the N-word ... but insists she never directed the slur at any of her employees.

0626_PAULA_DEEN_HAPPIER_FOOTER

Brittake

Even if these particular allegations aren't true, it doesn't negate Paula's other racist words and actions. Paula's desperately grappling to salvage her reputation by denying these allegations, but the damage has long been done. She'll never be a loveable good ole gal again, and she has no one to blame but herself.

BB not bb

That evil woman Paula Deen, she actually told me to wait on customers like I was some sort of slave. She actually told me to go fry some chicken like I was working in the Massa's kitchen. Now I am traumatized.

PAYMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Jim

It's time to STOP the bashing of Paula D. These stories are getting so crazy that in the end, the ENTIRE ordeal will be proven to be false, and then all of her "sponsors" will come crawling back with their tails between their legs. What a bunch of B.S. Pure B.S.

Italia

She probably did.

Gracie

I am now so confused.

My blonde haired, caucasian, Norwegian mother rang a dinner bell for us. What was she trying to tell me??

MEP3

Honestly…maybe she’s racist, maybe she’s not but let’s be real here….If this woman honestly felt discriminated against why did she work for her FOR 22 YEARS!!!! I mean, I can see sticking with the job until another was found (we all got to pay our bills right) but staying for 22 years and crying about it now???? Sorry, I know I would never be able to mentally handle being discriminated against for 22 days let alone years….this woman clearly just wants money!!! STAY STRONG AND HOLD YOUR GROUND PAULA!!!

DogsRule

MOG, leave this woman alone already!!! All these past/present employees who are accusing her of this BS are just out for money!!!

1uniquemonique

Hoecakes!!!! That's what I used to call sluts. But who gives a rat's azz!!! Paula has already proven she's a racist beyotch.

Aunt Jemima

What was failed to be mention is that Jamie Deen, the son who now runs the flagship restaurant, put Mrs. Charles on a salary of about $71,000 a year ... for 71K I'll dress up like Uncle Ben / Aunt Jemima and ring the **** out of that dinner bell. Some people are so ignorant, and skin color has nothing to do with it.

KTD

This Paula Dean thing is getting more and more ridiculous. Think I'll go buy some of her books.

Fit4Life

I'm over this Paula Dean thing.. but still.. She is a racist pig.. and hopefully no one will ever put her sorry fat a$$ on tv again.

BB not bb

I don't know but that Aunt Jemima looks like she can give a good hug.

Lori

Yet she stayed for TWENTY-TWO years. I just don't buy it. I am not a fan of Paula Deen's, but you don't put up with that kind of abuse for that long.

Pimpcessa

ROL, y'all have put some dumb stuff on this site before, but this takes the hoecake!

Theresa