Paula Deen

I Did NOT Dress Up Black Chef Like Aunt Jemima

7/25/2013 8:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0725_PAULA_DEEN_TMZ2Paula Deen is calling BS on a former chef who claims Deen made an African-American employee dress up like Aunt Jemima ... claiming the chef is crying racism in a pathetic money grab.

The woman behind the allegations is Dora Charles -- who ran Deen's kitchens for 22 years and helped open Paula's famous Lady & Sons restaurant in Georgia.

Charles spoke with the New York Times -- and claimed Deen wouldn't just use racial slurs in the kitchens, but wanted to dress up her employees as humiliating stereotypes.

Among the allegations, Charles says Deen tried to make her ring a dinner bell for restaurant customers ... something Charles felt was racially charged.

"That's a symbol to me of what we used to do back in the day," Charles said.

Charles also claims Deen tried to make another black female employee, Ineata Jones, dress up in an "old style Aunt Jemima outfit" while flipping hoecakes at a dining station.

But Deen says ... she's not only confident Charles is making the whole thing up -- but claims on July 6, Jones signed a legal document saying she had never felt discriminated against and never heard Deen spout racial slurs during her employment.

Charles has not filed a lawsuit, but claims she wants to get her story out so everyone will know the real Paula Deen.

Deen's camp fired back in a statement saying, "Dora's complaint is not about race but about money. It is about an employee that despite over 20 years of generosity feels that she still deserves yet even more financial support from Paula Deen."

Of course, Deen has previously admitted that she used the N-word ... but insists she never directed the slur at any of her employees.

0626_PAULA_DEEN_HAPPIER_FOOTER

smdt

To me its ridiculous that when black people pull the race card they always say," what we did in the racist days". Guess what it wasn't you in the slavery days it was your ancestors who did this. I'm sorry if this offends but it's the truth. Stop using what happened.to your ancestors as if y'all had to.go.through it.

StPeteRickster

Paula Go GINGHAM STYLE?

Nostraldumass

My white granny had a bell she rang for dinner and stuff.Meant bring your buthome. Thats one of the LOOOONgest reaches iv ever heard.

jane

she just wants $$$$ I call BS on this as well

isthisajoke

If you read the actual article instead of the little bits on TMZ you'll see this woman has known Paula for over 20 years. Paula Deen has mentioned and praised her skills many times including in her books. But while she was doing that she was also paying her so called 'soul sister' as Paula called her, $10 an hour. When some employees later filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is when she all of a sudden got a salary bump of 71,000. The fact that Paula was so miserly with someone she talked about as if they were good friends probably says more about her qualities as a person than anything else she's said in the past.

Toallthehatersoftheworld

I don't believe **** Paula deen says

TheUglyTruth

This is all BS! Just another fame seeker. Not everyone gets to be rich. She'sjust jealous Deen made it! Pathetic fame whore!

sandy

Give the woman a BREAK! I guess it's a lot like the chicken coop - when a hen is down, others will start pecking on it.

jimmy

What's wrong with that even if she did do it? It was just for show. My God, why get so fired up about a little something like that.

@drayram

My Q: WTF a dinner bell gots ta do with this BS .... people are Fd up in they brain use anything to try to r5elate to oppression when it has nohing to do with it .... i relate dinner bells to cowboys & ranches & mexico or my front porch ..... so fkn lame

the TRUTH

This is just another : roll of thunder hear my cry" ( good book I might add) but where its a CRY FOR ME IM BLACK I WANT FREE MONEY

will

This is a deposition from one of the black employees at Paula Deen's brothers restaurant. It is very interesting because he defends Bubba and Paula Deen. http://www.scribd.com/doc/151589571/William-Frazier

D

Someone called me a cracker today! Should I sue for this racism y'all speak of?? Racism is alive by those who wont let the PAST go! Maybe I should start white history month!! Jus let it go and get on with yourrr life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blakhoode

"That's a symbol to me of what we used to do back in the day," Charles said.

How old is this woman? I have something to admit: I HATE black people.. that use what happened 150 years ago as an excuse to call themself a "victim". You are not a victim. In fact, let's be honest, you have benefited from your ancestor's enslavement. And I'm not condoning slavery - far from it. It was awful. But where would today's blacks be if it hadn't occurred? My guess - they would be in Africa, starving, in the midst of civil war, dying of disease. If not for slavery, would blacks even be relevant today or would they be known as nothing more than savage tribesman in loin clothes?

Maire

I thought the dinner bell was a country thing, or western for sure