« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Hugh Douglas

FIRED FROM ESPN

Allegedly Called Co-Host 'Uncle Tom'

8/13/2013 11:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0813_hugh_douglas_michael_smith_gettyFormer NFL superstar Hugh Douglas has just been FIRED from his gig on an ESPN show in the wake of reports he called his co-host an "Uncle Tom."

Douglas -- a former Philadelphia Eagles defensive stud -- had co-hosted ESPN's "Numbers Never Lie" ... along with Michael Smith.

But according to several reports, Douglas and Smith got into a heated altercation at the National Association of Black Journalists Convention in Orlando last Tuesday ...with Douglas allegedly hurling the racially charged insult at Smith, who is black.

Douglas never confirmed the incident ... but ESPN had previously told media outlets they were "aware there was a disagreement" between the two men.

Moments ago, ESPN took action -- 86'ing Douglas from the network, effective immediately.

Douglas tweeted about the move -- saying, "I am very disappointed to be leaving ESPN and will have more to say about this situation and my future at the appropriate time."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

VictoriaGirl

In not up to date on my racial slurs, whats does "uncle tom" even mean?

bigeasysac

They should fire them both! That show is unwatchable.

static

Black people cannot be racist doesn't ESPN know that?

Wayne P

I agree with Hugh Douglas that Michael Smith is an uncle tom, however I don't agree on how Hugh handled the situation. Hugh has to understand that ESPN is not the no holds barred of the locker room, but is corporate america. You have to handle yourself a certain way in corporate america, so you can keep your job.

BOHOE

My Uncle's name isTom........So I can't call him Uncle Tom in public anymore ....WTF

Don

Next up: Oprah!

Don

Another lesson here today:
Racism and bigotry comes in all colors, and against his own no less. Hate to see his vent and rant on a "white guy"

Apparently Douglas is not an advocate of "can't we all just get along"

Kim Kisslady

ummmm is there a National Association of JUST journalists? last I heard they came in all colours

chicagoannie

Aren't they both black? I thought it was ok for black people to use racial insults towards each other?

shelley

holy sensitive.. I didn't even know what it meant. But, by what another poster said, it's just a different way of saying the guy is a brown noser who kisses the ass of his boss. what a slipperly slope this political correctness is taking...can't say anything anymore.

MrR

Is the National Association of Black Journalists anything like the National Association of White Journalists.?

Italia

Just goes to show, it doesn't always pay to go to office parties.

rossi

Good riddance. If you can get rid of whites for saying the N-word, then certainly get rid of these so called blacks trying to keep other blacks in line by accusing them of trying to be white. It's absurd but its rampant in certain black communities

Nyd

Excellent, blacks calling other blacks, ****** and uncle tom is racist form of bullying them.

rebroxanna

Oh man. I loved him! Damn.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments