« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Phil Jackson

Fires Back At Kendrick Lamar

'You Need a Mentor'

8/13/2013 2:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0810-phil-jackson-kendrick-lamarYou tag Phil Jackson in a rap song, he'll tag you right back -- just ask Kendrick Lamar ... who got a free lesson in ego management from the Zen Master after droppin' his name in a new song.

67-year-old Jackson was definitely listening when 26-year-old Lamar called him out in Big Sean's new song, "Control" -- a song that includes the lyrics:

"Who the f**k y’all thought it’s supposed to be?
If Phil Jackson came back, still no coachin’ me
I’m uncoachable, I’m unsociable."

Jackson -- who's no stranger to dealing with egomaniacs (or people named Lamar) ... shot back on Twitter moments ago ... with a message aimed right at Kendrick:

“@kendricklamar it’s okay to be cocky and sure, but we all need somebody to lean on. Let’s just call it mentoring."

Can't argue with zen.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Urmomma

So, if you don't like this song, it's because you're old and white? Couldn't be because it's not that great?

DreamNCrayon

Lol at idiots who attack entertainers because they don't believe they have college degrees. I don't like most rappers nowadays however I surely don't blame their choice of lyrics on the school they attended. Put the racist and stereotypical comments to rest and grow up already -_-

graduated from St. Johns a year after J.Cole, others who have degrees... 2Chainz (medical degree), Flavor Flav, Ludacris (graduated top 5%), David Banner (business & master of arts in teaching), M.I.A (fine art, film & video), Rah Digga (electrical engineering) just to name a few of many.

Lastly, Kendrick was not calling out Phil jackson, its called a hyperbole. Phil needs to chill out seriously.... smh

DreamNCrayon

Googie

The Zen Master has spoken.

snap

By the way tmz phil was joking not that you care.

Real one

Tmz always adds extras

ExtenzvVamp

Does Phil & KL hav the same PR team?!

Str8edgeSavior

Lmao @ n iggerz

The_truth_will_set_you_free

Mr. Jackson needs something more constructive to do because dissecting metaphors (which obviously speak highly of his coaching abilities) and turning them into some "need for a mentor" is not his forte ...

Sweety

lol, I thought Phil's response was funny, sounds like he doesn't understand rap or the meaning of that verse? lol

Art

"@kendricklamar it’s okay to be ****y and sure, but we all need somebody to lean on. Let’s just call it mentoring."

Says the typical white male who thinks he knows everything about everything.

NEXT! I'm done with this one.

thedurtyversion

it is not only phil jackson who blew up Kendrick Lamar. A lot of talented MCs are now awake and plan to take a stab at him. However, I prefer Lupe Fiasco's written response much more than the others. I liked to it on my blog for those to witness.

Danielle123

Lol Kendrick has everybody's panties in a bunch.

kate

a lot of hate msgs...he must called yall out too?? lmao..I find the ish funny....rappers getting all sensitive in ish...smdh...aye YALL MAD...?? hahaha!!! eff the news,i like the bs comments. makes me laugh o_0

Hip Hop Think Tank

The old hag as a point lol

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2