« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE Superstar

... I'm Gay

8/15/2013 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

081413_darren_young_launch_wmWWE superstar Darren Young just dropped a bombshell, telling TMZ, he's gay ... and no, this isn't part of the act.

Darren was at LAX Wednesday when we asked whether a gay wrestler could succeed in WWE, and Darren laughed, saying, "Absolutely. Look at me. I'm a WWE superstar and to be honest with you, I'll tell you right now, I'm gay. And I'm happy. I'm very happy."

For the record, Darren is now the first openly gay wrestler ever at WWE ... and the first headlining wrestler ever to come out while still signed to a major promotion.

Other pro wrestlers have been rumored to be gay, but that's it ... just rumors.

It will hurt his career

Bottom line: this is big, big news. For all its chauvinism and testosterone-driven bravado, coming out in WWE is tantamount to coming out in the NFL.

Of course, wrestling is a little different, particularly because of how physical it is, and how little clothing is involved -- but Darren is completely unfazed. Watch the video to hear why.

081513_darren_young_wwe_launch_v2
Current WWE Champ John Cena is already weighing in on Darren coming out. Check out his reaction here.

Young is also receiving full support from the WWE ... which says it's "proud of Darren Young for being open about his sexuality."

A rep for the organization adds, "We will continue to support him as a WWE Superstar.  Today, in fact, Darren will be participating in one of our Be A Star anti-bullying rallies in Los Angeles to teach children how to create positive environments for everyone regardless of age, race, religion or sexual orientation."

0814_darren_young_wrestling_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

buzz kill

Somebody needs to lock the closet door. Being GAY doesn't make you special, just queer.

kedjr

So he's gay let him be the guy for the kids who are struggling with their sexuality he can show its ok and maybe and I do mean maybe he could become WWE champion

Kingsalami

His favorite move is the can opener.

Raging_Demons

Okay let's clear this up here. Chris Kanyon is the 1st EVER publicly Gay wrestler, Orlando Jordan was the 1st public BI-Sexual Wrestler. Pat Patterson may be gay but most of the news of his gayness comes from rumor sites.

If "Black Cena" a.k.a. Darren Young is actually gay & is open then good for him. I'm kinda skeptical about it because this is the same company that gave us "Billy & Chuck" & that god awful gay wedding.

Janet

What I wanna know is..........did he get a call from the POTUS congratulating him on his 'coming out'?

Man2Man

I am really proud of Darren man what courage it takes to come out as a gay man and as a WWE superstar

kennethking

deeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Joe R.

Like we didn't know from those shorts he wore? Nah, just kidding, more power to him: takes guts to do what he did.

Sugar Kitty

A bunch of guys wearing speedos, capes, masks and boots throwing each other down on a mat. I would be surprised if any of them were straight.

Gena

Lol lol lol To each its own, but I don’t know if I could be a male wrestler having a match with a gay man. Wrestling is a contact sport. I would not be comfortable with a gay man all on my booty and laying on top of me. It wouldn’t work for me. I would feel like he was enjoying it too, too much.

WTF

What a ***

Kabala

Wrestling is so stupid.

Diana B.

What about Adrian Adonis in the 80s?

GetOverYourself

I am going to get nailed for this but I just have to ask. What race is this guy? In some pics he's 100 percent guido and now he has an afro? Is that spray tan? I mean, I don't want to f*ck him, but I am rather curious. PS. I think the whole thing is a sham storyline Vince came up with, like the two Wrestlers a couple years ago that got "married" in the ring. You can tell he's acting in the video. Vince has been trying to get a gay story line going for a long time now. Don't be surprised to find out he and another wrestler "fall in love".

jim nivens

wonder if he knows "The Pennis Hold"