Dave Chappelle

HISSY FIT AT LIVE SHOW

Tells Off Crowd After Hecklers Interrupt

8/30/2013 6:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0830_dave_chapelle_01

Dave Chappelle went off on an angry crowd in Connecticut last night -- refusing to perform his material and telling the the audience to BOO THEMSELVES after he was heckled during the show.

Chappelle had only been on stage for a few minutes when he started to become irritated with some loudmouthed people in the crowd. As an act of defiance, Chappelle reportedly sat on his stool and with his mouth shut for several minutes.

Eventually, Chappelle grabbed the mic and told the crowd: "I f**ked up when I left my show, you know why? 'Cause my show only has to be 22 minutes of television. I could've went on television, I could've read the phone book for 22 minutes and I would've got $50 million dollars."

"I shoulda done that sh*t but my ego wouldn't let me. Tonight is different. Tonight my contract says 25 minutes and I have 3 minutes left. and when my 3 minutes is up, my ass is gone."

When people started to boo the comic, Chappelle responded, "You're booing yourself."

After the show, dozens of pissed off fans demanded a refund.

People seem to be divided over Chappelle's reaction -- with comics like Patton Oswalt blaming the crowd: "Dear Dave Chappelle's fans: He's one of the best comedians working, & you're not letting him do what he loves. Stop being a**holes."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Giovanni

The question isn't why Dave Chappelle walked offstage, the question is why he keeps walking onstage.  The sad answer is that the guy who once had it all needs the money. As Chappelle and many other comedians of the past has proven, nothing ruins a comedian, or artist, faster than money. And a lot of money can destroy them, Richard Pryor included. Someone should invent a pill for comedians who are unable to perform or be funny anymore and call it a Chappellezac, then they need to give one to Dave Chappelle, Eddie Murphy, Letterman, Leno, Conan, Russell Brand, Will Ferrell, and almost every other living comedian with the exception of Bill Maher. The only thing more funny than Dave Chappelle and his ongoing psychobabble/minstrel act is people actually paying money to see it then and him walking off stage. Now that that is true comedy.

VLAZ2013

He should stick to comedy clubs, its clear he has trouble dealing with arenas as this wasn't his first tike bombing in front of one. If you weren't at the Hartford show you should really stfu because u have no idea what hapoened, these videos dont do his unprofessional-ness justice. I hope the sensitive punk is lucky he slinked out the back or he would have got a true taste of the CT crowd. Such a pu55yyyy

I steal pets

Has anyone walked into a party, saw the people and said "nope, this is not my scene". Dave has, and I think it is cool. He was the one who walked into a frat party and said, "This is sad".

Steve Hopkins

Dave Chappelle can do whatever he wants in response to the jerks who pay to abuse him, but he'll never escape living in a white man's world. Neither will you, and neither will I. https://soundcloud.com/biff-thuringer/white-mans-world

Steve Hopkins

Haru007

We saw the Oddball Comedy Fest in TInsley Park. IL and Dave was HILARIOUS! The crowd begged him not to go. His show was too short. The Hartford crowd were a bunch of drunken idiots! They couldn't shut up long enough to hear a comedy great perform? To add insult to injury they claimed Dave bombed? The only way they'll ever see Chappelle perform is in another City. It's okay, Hartford. Just take another couple of swigs. That outta numb the pain.

L.D.

How is this right when Paula Dean was crucified for saying a negative comment but if your a sucky comic, you get away with it.

IftheSkilletdontHeatIt

That's comedy, Chappelle was essentially insulting the audience, and making corny ass jokes, like "go home and look in the mirror and say boo!" Not only is it not funny...How much did those people spend to see this has been? Chappelle should refund the money himself.
Can you imagine through that completely unfunny show? That's torture, that's why they were booing...there was no comedy. I've been to amateur nights in San Francisco that had better comedians than that fraud. He's right, a foul mouthed comedian, who essentially flushed his entire career down the tube..real smart.

Teresa Morrison

uh...whose patton asswalt?? and does anyone CARE what either he or dave ****pelle has to say

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6