Ex-Disney Superstar

Death Certificate Released

Gunshot Wound To Head

9/3/2013 10:58 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0821_lee_thompson_young

Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head ... this according to the actor's official death certificate obtained by TMZ.

We broke the story ... Young's body was discovered at his North Hollywood apartment on August 19th, after he failed to show up to the set of his TNT drama "Rizzoli and Isles."

According to the death certificate, Young used a handgun to take his own life.

Young -- who rocketed to stardom back in 1998 as the title character in the Disney show "The Famous Jett Jackson" -- didn't leave a suicide note.

Young's friends and family are still struggling to understand why the actor shot himself -- though some of his family members told law enforcement he suffered from "depression issues."

Young was 29.

0820_remembering_lee_thompson_young_footer

ABB

Depression is a nasty beatch.

Carriejane

Very sad..my heart goes out to his loved ones ..

Rachael

There are unconfirmed reports that he saw yet ANOTHER Kardashian story on TMZ, and that was the last straw.

Sips

I hate rich people that cry about depression whah whah live in my shoes for a couple days what a waist feel bad for his family not him there is so many things he could have don't to not be depressed like I don't know talk to someone anyway who's next lol

Sips

Done*

PureRadiance

That is sad all the way around, for him, his family, his friends. May your daemons now be at rest. RIP.

Rachael

Just goes to show you how powerful depression is, and how crippling it can be- this guy had anything one would think one would want (girls, attention, money, career) but he couldn't see through the fog. Depression is far more common and more powerful than we realize. And his family- I'm sure they are crushed (still) by this..

Big Khloe

I wish it were a Kardashian instead. INSTEAD. No harm wished to anyone, I just wish it were a worthless sh7thead instead of this guy who was working for a living.

nof

For all of the grief it gets - ?

TMZ does a lot of very good and very important reporting/writing -

Such as this story, Sly's kid, etc.

Credit to TMZ for staying on things.

Suicide's about distorted thinking.

Thinking ourselves into a "No Way Out" sitch.

Junior Seau, etc.

Since at that state we no longer have insight?

Insight's the first thing to leave when depression takes over -

Insight HAS to leave in order for distorted-thinking to have full-run of our heads, minds, thinking.

Lamar Odom right now = distorted thinking - loss of insight - we've all been there -

Thus we don't give mental health people, that particular community (the great people at UCLA (who'll put Amanda Bynes back together as they once did for me)?

A chance to take a crack at the loss of insight, the distortions that go along with it, the futility and loss of hope/any way out.

So we pull the trigger - and blam - we're gone.

So God Bless Jett, Jett's family, his friends, his show, all of those who might have helped.

But maybe this will inspire SOME of those people to re-direct their own lives towards some kind of Jett-Mission.

To prevent young people's suicide.

Brother hung himself at 15 - so I know of what I speak -

The Killer is that we're CONVINCED it's a logical plan, as we gather the rope, write the note, put a chair in place, etc.

Meg

I didn't know this guy at all, first time I heard of him was when this was announced...but every time I see his picture I think what a beautiful young man in his prime. How tragic. The topic of mental health MUST become more of a conversation in North America.

billybob

He was black & gay!

lunalite3

it says his family knew he suffered with depression so couldnt they have helped him or stayed with him or something? sometimes just listening to someone can help.this is so sad, he had a lot of talent and a whole life ahead of him, so young

cmn

TMZ- "WE BROKE THE STORY".............lol, wow, you guys are the coolest! How do you do it? Bottom feeders

laffnbear

Someone told him he was black?

PitBullLover