« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

President Obama

Redskins Name is Offensive

... I'd Probably Change It

10/5/2013 9:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1005_obama_redskins_getty
Congress might be shut down ... but President Barack Obama found time to dive into the debate over the Washington Redskins name -- telling a reporter he would "think about changing" the team name because it offends people.

The Prez was asked about the issues renewed controversy over the past few months ... and proclaimed nostalgia isn't a good enough reason to keep the name.

Saying if he were team owner ... there'd be serious discussion about changing it.

However, Barack doesn't think fans of the name are being racist -- they're just passionate for team history.

Obama joins a growing movement of people once again pushing for the change -- including NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Name change or not ... the Redskins still suck this season.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Fratzzz

You sir are a moron! Do something that makes a difference...like staple your mouth shut so you can't screw this country any more!

garysgirl

What an idiot!!! I wish that he would just go away....NOW!!!

3Storms

I am sick of whiners. If you don't like something, don't go, and quit being selfish pigs wanting to p*ss all over everything for everyone else. Jeez. The world is NOT yours to force your standards on.

DownSouth

Fk Obama.

BLUE UGLY 💩

Good. If there was a team called the little d*ck crackers you tea party bigots would be crying.

Lisa

Obama is offensive, I think we should change presidents.

lastrebel

So tired of all this political correctness BS. Poll the native americans and ask if they find it offensive. I haven't heard of any of them complaining. Not that it matters but, I am part Cherokee. I don't find it offensive at all. What I find offensive is others who really have no skin in the game (no pun intended) stirring the fish bowl to make something out of nothing. We really have bigger problems to worry about.

david

this is one reason why hes the worst prez ever....worry about **** that matters

HumanNature

I HATE THE REDSKINS............PERIOD!!!!!

Heyjude

MAJOR TYPO! Barack is spelled with one r. Really TMZ!!!

tym

i have an idea...if you dont like something dont support it...im sure obama hates the patriots too..why do certain personalities always feel if they dont like something it must be changed?

Katlady23

I am Native American and these names don't offend me. Obama can go f&@$ himself. He has much more to worry about right now with the way he's brought this country to its knees.

Astro171

The way he runs this country is much more offensive.

cementmixer

Nobama is Offensive maybe we should change presidents.

Observer999

There should be an IQ test for TMZ staffers.

BaRRack? And more than once, it wasn't a typo.

If you don't know how to spell the name of the President, you should seek remedial education.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments