« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

2-Year-Old Son Attacked

Police Investigating

10/11/2013 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1011-adrian-peterson-01
update_bar
10:16 AM PT -- Multiple sources tell TMZ ... Peterson's son is currently on life support and hasn't had brain activity since 5:30 PM last night.

We're told the family is monitoring the situation closely, and if there is no improvement in 24 hours, the mother wants to remove life support and donate the boy's organs to people in need.

10:00 AM PT --
Adrian Peterson's father has confirmed ... the injured boy is, in fact, Adrian's son ... but it's NOT Adrian Peterson Jr.

The Pioneer Press spoke with Nelson Peterson ... who says, "All I can say is, we are asking for prayers and for respect for our family as we deal with this tragic situation."

8:41 AM PT --
Multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation tell TMZ ... the injured child is Adrian's son, but it's not Adrian Peterson Jr., the child he's been famously photographed with in public over the years.

We reached out to Peterson's reps -- but so far, we have not heard back.

gray-bar-update

Adrian Peterson
's 2-year-old son is currently in critical condition in a South Dakota hospital ... after he was allegedly severely beaten by the man dating the mother of his child, TMZ has learned.

The Minnesota Vikings running back immediately left his team to be with his son.

Officials tell us they've arrested the suspect, 27-year-old Joseph Patterson ... who's been charged with aggravated felony assault and battery of an infant.

According to law enforcement, emergency responders arrived to the apartment where Peterson's son was living at 5:46 PM on Wednesday ... and found the child unresponsive.

He was rushed to a nearby hospital and medical experts determined the injuries were consistent with abuse.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... the child suffered severe head injuries.

The suspect, Joseph Patterson, appeared in court just moments ago ... the judge set his bond at $750,000.  Patterson tried desperately to shield his face from the cameras.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Hell's Belle

It takes a real POS to do this to child. SMH...

Reabea

See, this is why my husband and I don't let anyone watch our infant. Too many crazy-azz people out here.

talonrose412

your kidding right TMZ? give that puke to "daddy"... this monster is sooo stupid...1. to attack a 2 yr old...and 2.Dads a NFL player, dumbass.... my heart aches for them both. im sure id be in jail...

heather

prayers for his son!

Sharon Garcia

so sad, That guy needs his ass beat everyday of the rest of his life, WHY would anyone hurt a 2 year old child. Get his ass AP I hope the baby comes through this.

toni

so he has two 2-year old sons?

Pat

Count me in I am a Great Grandmother~~~~I have a three year old and a 4 month old and I know what damage I can do to that SOB~~~~~one baseball bat and Grammy is all I need ~~~God Bless you Little one <3

Sparkal

I hope the baby is ok. If I was Adrian I probably go postal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RyanRaze

The death penalty isn't enough. Lock this piece of trash in a room with Peterson and the rest of the players from the Vikings. Let them beat him within an inch of his life, bring in doctors to keep him alive; then throw him in solitary for the rest of his existence.

Andrea

This story is false! Learn the truth before you report it TMZ! Adrian Peterson is related to the woman whos child it is. Its not HIS son! Isn't he with his sons mother anyways?

Groll

Dude is gonna get killed AP will smoke his ass

Brian

Prayers with Adrian Peterson and his son

monica

This animal should be charged at the very least with attempted murder.

Where the hell was the mother?!

ajc22

Oh Im sure the guy will get whats coming to him in Jail....South Dakota is made up of mostly Vikings fans and They dont like child abusers in jail

Jason

You should be able to beat the hell out of the person who beat your kid see how he likes it. What a loser beating a freaking 2yr old.