« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Dies From Injuries

10/11/2013 8:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1011-adrian-peterson-02

update_bar
3:00 PM PDT:
Peterson just sent a series of Tweets: "God Bless everyone and thank u so much. The NFL is a fraternity of brothers and I am thankful for the tweets, phone calls and text messages from my fellow players. Thank you to my family, my fans and fans of other teams for their support."

gray-bar-update

Adrian Peterson's 2-year-old son has died ... cops have confirmed.

Cops believe Peterson's son was severely beaten by 27-year-old Joseph Patterson, the man who was dating the mother of the NFL star's child.

As we reported, the mother of the child has decided to donate the child's organs to people in need.

The boy was on life support since 5:30 PM Thursday ... but his condition never improved ... so family members made the decision to take the child off the ventilator.

Sources tell TMZ .. Adrian was informed about the situation before the news went public.

We're told Peterson will be planning the funeral with other members of the boy's family.

Patterson was initially arrested in Sioux Falls, South Dakota for assault and battery of an infant -- and now, it's almost certain the charges will be elevated to murder.

The details surrounding the beating are unclear -- but cops say medical responders were called to the apartment where the child was living on Wednesday evening ... and he was unresponsive when help arrived.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Coupe09

THIS IS HORRIBLE AND DISGUSTING. Rip little guy....

Very Opinionated

I am so sorry for the loss of this precious baby. It is my feeling that the mother is just as much to blame though, she had to know what was going on, so why hasn't she been arrested as well. God love that precious baby. My thoughts and prayers are with all of the family and friends. My God surround you with his loving, comforting arms.

Ironkross

joke. at practice, will play sunday. he has no feeling for this dead boy. super star drops his seed and moves on. s*** bag **** head

Mary Harding

I watch TMZ and I've been preoccupied till this this little boy was beaten if that was my little boy that jerk wouldn't be alive for long in jail what a son of a.....! what kind of woman is she ! She couldn't see any signs that he was that Wacko he should be hung by his -----!

TheRealDeal

So sad. My condolences go out to Adrian and family for this terrible and senseless loss. I'm glad the little boy's organs will be donated to help other little kids. This is the type of story that makes you so sad and so angry at the same time. RIP Little One.

Tasha

I am sick about this story. My husbands daughter is an awesome D.A in Texas. I wish this coward was her her court she would have his ass. Poor little kid. Rest in peace little guy. :(

Mimi

Why wasn't he at the hospital with his son? Did the mom's boyfriend abuse the child before and no one stopped it?

WiddoMouse

In what state did the murder take place? I hope they have the death penalty in that state. To beat a 2 year old to death is the most vile crime I can think of.

Shayna

If some POS killed my kid, I wouldn't be tweeting an hour later.
Poor, sweet baby. I hope the baby murderer rots in hell.

joy

Beyond sad

LilliP

No patent should bury their child especially a two year old. My condolences and prayers go out to the parents. God bless and keep you

SickGirl

Why is donating the organs so important to the mother? Could it be possible she's hiding other forms of abuse? Idk something about this sitch seems sketch to me

SupremeGuy

Wow. That's just terrible.

my opinion

Were was the mother at..

nevermore

wtf is wrong with these boyfriends that they can't control their urge to beat babies to death? The human race has need of an amputation of a diseased limb, starting with this creep.