« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Dies From Injuries

10/11/2013 8:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1011-adrian-peterson-02

update_bar
3:00 PM PDT:
Peterson just sent a series of Tweets: "God Bless everyone and thank u so much. The NFL is a fraternity of brothers and I am thankful for the tweets, phone calls and text messages from my fellow players. Thank you to my family, my fans and fans of other teams for their support."

gray-bar-update

Adrian Peterson's 2-year-old son has died ... cops have confirmed.

Cops believe Peterson's son was severely beaten by 27-year-old Joseph Patterson, the man who was dating the mother of the NFL star's child.

As we reported, the mother of the child has decided to donate the child's organs to people in need.

The boy was on life support since 5:30 PM Thursday ... but his condition never improved ... so family members made the decision to take the child off the ventilator.

Sources tell TMZ .. Adrian was informed about the situation before the news went public.

We're told Peterson will be planning the funeral with other members of the boy's family.

Patterson was initially arrested in Sioux Falls, South Dakota for assault and battery of an infant -- and now, it's almost certain the charges will be elevated to murder.

The details surrounding the beating are unclear -- but cops say medical responders were called to the apartment where the child was living on Wednesday evening ... and he was unresponsive when help arrived.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

abby

I feel so sorry for the child and the Peterson family. As for the murderer, he should get life. As for the child's mother, she should be prosecuted for letting her child be in a dangerous situation.

wow

this dude has a history of beating up kids and his ex girls friends who has his kids with him. he has been to court a bunch of times over it.. i just watched there local news telling me about it his past.. this fool should have never been around any kids ever.. with his past so what it tells me is that this baby momma was soo very desprate to get with any fool and i mean any low life that she latched on to his moron and so her kid is now dead because she did not want to listen to what everyone was telling her about him.. and how he is with kids.. and the fact that he could not be around even his own kid.. right there should have sent up red flags i mean what is it going to take for these young so called women out there to stay away from men who beat the crap out of children .. if they have beaten up kids or girlfriends and there Restaining orders out on them.. here is your sign right there.. dont believe any man go to the court house and find out the truth.. look at the court docs and see for your self.. you dont have to buy them just read them and then if you want to be with a man who beats up your kids and yourself .. its on you.. this poor little boy had no choice what so ever in the matter.. and neither did his father.. cause i think if the father knew the truth about that dude then i bet his family would have taken that kid away from the babymomma and let the father raise the kid. yes i am thinking she wanted the money the footballer was giving her.. and she was not about to let that dime go,,, well how is she feeling now.. i bet you $10. that she was told about his past and she thought no its not true cause he said it was not true.. well guess what it was true and you are a fool to believe it ..

texangirl64

Sadly AP never knew this little Angel.. R.I.P. Sweet baby

wow

Alisa Kent

My prayers go out to Adrian, I wish I could tell you some words of wisdom, but only God can give you those and peace. My best wishes for you and your family, please remember his mother lost him too, common sense says know one would leave their child with someone they thought would hurt them, so please be humble and kind.

WLou

All this could have been avoided if they would have taken his previous girlfriend's abuse charges seriously. Instead, abusers get a slap on the wrist.

SunnyAutumn

Unfathomable, just unfathomable. My condolences to Adrian and his family during this awful time. The angels will watch over him now and he never has to suffer again. Sadly, there are thousands of children like this being abused everyday.

SunnyAutumn

Wow, check out the party momma's pictures on everydayjoe dot com. She probably barely saw her child anyway. They have a picture of the baby on hollywoodlife. He was a beautiful child. I hope this man gets his head kicked in everyday in jail.

Amanda Marx

very sad and sick adrian it has to be hard and if this man is still breathing right now you are a much stronger person than I. God bless

Calico

My condolences. How sad.

bright eyez

That poor baby. R.I.P

Mimi

Awwww, I'm so sorry for their loss. The worst news ever for a parent.

alisemaria

People please stop having babies without being married or in a long-term committed relationship so that other people aren't raising your kids. This was such a preventable tragedy. This is sad & heartbreaking.

Rebecca

My condolences to all his loved ones. May God send his angels to comfort them all. RIP Lil Peterson :'(

Freebutterfly62

Adrian, although I dont know you nor you me, Dear Jesus My prayers are soooo with your broken heart , I know there is nothing I can say to take that pain away just wanted to let you know, My heart breaks for yours!!!!!!!!! SuAnn, n ALABAMA R3OLLLL TIDE ROLL, HOME OF The Number 1s........