'Naked & Afraid' Star

Catches Dengue Fever in Panama Jungle

Nearly Bleeds to Death

12/7/2013 12:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

120613_naked_afraid_launch
A female survival expert who appeared on "Naked & Afraid" is currently recovering from DENGUE FEVER -- and nearly died -- after contracting the virus in a Panama jungle, TMZ has learned.

45-year-old Manu Toigo was bit by a mosquito back in September, while filming her episode (which airs this weekend on the Discovery Channel).

At first, Manu says she didn't think twice about the bug bite ... until she arrived back in L.A. days later and began to experience a severe headache between the eyes. The headache progressed to a fever, then nosebleeds and gum bleeding, then she couldn't even stand up.

1206-manu
Doctors initially told Manu she was anemic, but things only got worse -- and she was forced to go back to the hospital, where they finally diagnosed her with dengue hemorrhagic fever ... the worst form of dengue fever.

FYI, Dengue fever becomes "hemorrhagic" when the virus damages blood vessels to the point they hemmorhage internally. And the worst part -- there's no cure.

Manu says she got to the hospital just in time, and doctors kept a close eye on her -- pumping her with fluids and plasma -- so she was able to make a decent recovery. Manu spent a total of 2 weeks in the hospital and is now in physical therapy, trying to get back on her feet. She says she's still in agonizing pain all over her body.

But if you're wondering if she regrets going on the show ... Manu says, "Hell no ... most epic experience I could ever have done."

Ron Fing Swanson

Stay on the states is the lesson here

Toilethead

I wish that show could bleed to death. It's one of the worst shows in history.

Dead account Delete at will

Stupid things happen to stupid people doing stupid things.

bring back recent posts

...well.. She is immune from it in the future....I am glad she got treated in time cause she doesn't look like she has a lot of reserve in her body for fighting a virus...a lil more muscle build =grub might help for tackling a good old fashion flu bug this winter... Just saying

Dead account Delete at will

I just cannot feel bad when things happen to stupid people that purposely put them selves in dangerous situations . They get what they deserve

cindy

So, if a mosquito bit her while she was getting sick back in LA, it could be passed on to another person. Great.

PAmom

People bringing illnesses from other countries is how formerly iradicated diseases are making a comeback in the US

One time only

I caught this 22 years ago backpacking through Mexico Being from Australia the only tropical illness I'd had was an illusion hangover. I'll never forget the lady who ran the hammock style cabana place. I spoke next to no Spanish at that time and she had little English. To this day I believe I would've died if she had not taken the effort to realise I was alone, young and very very sick. She would not accept a peso when I wanted some way to thank her

Jamey Hunter

Nearly died for a garbage show. Hope it was worth it to her. No sympathy.

Truth

+1 FOR THE MOSQUITO. DINT THE BITCH VISIT A TRAVEL DOC B4 LEAVING??? #TRUTH!!

awesomewave

Hope she had insurance. Otherwise take your bleeding outside the hospital.

Zambonie

yeah too bad she didn't cause a pandemic
RATINGS GOLD!
MOST EPIC THING!

ticallion

People, you can contract dengue fever in Florida so pipe down. Plus there was no chance of her passing it on by the time she got back to LA. I got it in 1998. I was on an IV drip for a week and getting pain killers shot into me every hour because it was so painful. My fever was off the charts.

KicksandGiggles

Well I sure as hell would know to expect bug bites in the jungle & had protective clothing. Even if the choice is heat versus bugs, rather than this. And yes, I know bugs go under clothes but a tee shirt is ringing the dinner bell. Frankly, her old dry bony azz probably does not get enough nutrition to fight off a bee sting. Good luck!!!

Mikey

But she got to be on TV.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments