Suge Knight

Call Me a Ni**a

Not An African American

12/16/2013 10:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

121613_suge_knight_launch_v2
Suge Knight is offended when people call him African American, because he's NOT African.  On the other hand, he doesn't have a problem with the word, "Ni**a."

Suge says it's offensive to label all Black people African American.  And he goes further ... he thinks it's ridiculous that only rappers can use the word, "Ni**a."  He thinks if it can be used by some, it should be used by all.

At first his theory sounds a little shocking, but maybe he has a point.

So we gotta ask...

PainfulTruth

What a bias pole! Why do we whites keep asking such a question? If you have to ask, then you know its wrong, what a rhetorical question!!! The majority of this pole, was no doubt, answered by whites, that probably hates blacks; they want to use the word to feel a sense of hurting blacks, and to demean them. The average person with intelligence, know that such a name, that has been labeled and viewed as derogatory, should not be used. It seems like the modern day white person is trying to tell blacks, that they want to use this word and that blacks should not be upset because rappers use this word. Not every black person is a rapper, rap is art (whether some of you agree or not; rap is an expression, imitation; lyrics) not all black people use this word. Is there a poll asking what whites should be referred to, or other races? So many races believe that they can keep using blacks as guinea pigs, and punching bags. Even after 500 years of legalized slavery, burnt alive, rape, and killings, some still will not allow blacks to rest.

Joe Schmo

Well, if anyone is an African American (I think she is a citizen now) would be Charlize Theron. She is from South Africa.

Danny

I'm not sure if people remember this but they are black people in places that aren't America such as Africa, the Caribbean and England. You can't just call all black people African-American. Just call us black people if you're too scared to ask where we're from.

Boom

So are you saying that if an Asian person is born in LA, they are no longer Asian-American? They are still considered such. How about if a Mexican person is born in Michigan? They still are considered Mexican American. If you are Black, then somewhere in the last 200 years your family was from Africa. In reality, no term really works. Not even American. Canada is on the continent of America, so is Mexico, Brazil, etc. So, if "American" is real- it is for everyone in North and South America. As a matter of fact, in France when they say they are going to "America" they usually mean South America.

♥smh@this$h!t♥

TMZ maybe u should go ask the President what he prefers?? Ask Harvey what he prefer??

Dsheh

Tmz your a waste of space for such a disrespectful poll. Signed go screw yourselves.

Renee'

TMZ should not even have run this irrelevant story. Now y'all going to be talked about in a racial context; it's started already online. To me, this says TMZ has no respect for Black people. As a White American, I don't even think it's appropriate to ask if Black people should be called the N word. I mean if you were going to report the story okay but the survey is what reveals the lack of respect for Black people. I am half Jewish and I know that they wouldn't a story asking if Jews should be referred to using a derogatory word. How disgraceful TMZ.

gaelen54

To argue the point of Charles statement, the word "******" was used back in the days of slavery, and the word "Negress" for women of color! The word "*****" was NOT used in those days and "if" it was, very rarely. I believe the word "*****" is more relative to today's world even black people use that word among themselves and close friends, Black OR White. And eventually we ALL have to accept the fact that the word is going to be used, and get over it. NO ONE seems to know the accurate or appropriate name to be used. Some black people like to be called "Black", and some black people like to be called "African American". And evidently in the case of Suge Night , some like to be called "*****". It's like the "Swastica" If you give the emblem or word no power, then it's just a word and nearly forgotten. That's my opinion!

highlyoffended

TMZ thinks this word is so offensive that it doesn't show in comments but they are conducting a poll if blacks should be referred to by this insult, HMMMMMMMMMM

lee

TMZ... you racist piece of a sleaze. What are you thinking, putting up a poll. You're encouraging more ignorance.

lee

I have no problem being called an African-American. The only time I hear the "we shouldn't have a hyphenated America" argument is when the designation "African-American" pops up. But I never hear the same uproar over Italian-American, Arab-American, or Japanese-American. Why is it more provocative when we say African-American? Maybe it's because some whites don't like to hear it because they don't want to be reminded of slavery; for the blacks that don't want to hear it, it's the same but it's also because Africa has become a byword for poverty and suffering. Blacks in America don't want to be associated with that. To tell you the truth, I never thought of "hyphenated American" as misleading. I thought it would simply an acknowledgement of one's heritage - not a nationality other than American. "African-American" never bothered me at all. Celebrating Saint Patrick's day and honoring one's Irish heritage is never misconstrued as a denial of one's American roots. Every year in Norfolk, VA we have a pretty fine Greek festival, conducted by Americans of Greek heritage. I could mentioned many other observances and festivals that acknowledge heritage beyond the United States. Are we going to stop having all of those because its somehow Unamerican? As for the N-word business. I really don't see any cultural value in it. The argument about it being used as a term of endearment is nonsense. How can it be a term of endearment if some blacks use it when they are fighting each other? Besides I don't want to be called the N-word because it's beneath me. I'm a man, and it sounds more like a thing than a man. It's history in this country is not endearing, it's demeaning. Some blacks use it because of the very fact that it is edgy and offensive, you could even say, rebellious. Some use it, although they are afraid to admit it, because they don't expect much from themselves in life due to surrounding cir***stances or what other blacks expected of them. Look, if we're going to make this a big issue, let's do it whenever someone says Italian-,Irish-, or Chinese-American too. And please, for the love of all that is holy, don't cite Suge Knight as if he is some repository of wisdom, neither assume (TMZ) that because Suge Knight things it's ok for everyone to use the N-word that it gives non-blacks permission to use it. Suge Knight is not the voice of the black community by any means. So instead of conducting your ridiculous social experiment, Harvey and friends, maybe you should ignore this has-been. Thank you.

ivy4990

I can't believe after all the backlash with the poll, TMZ still has it up. I'm done

PHRESHZ

Why are you guys trying to explain this sh*t???

iii381

Ok...Suge Knight cant advise me on how to boil water, so i DAMN sure don't want him advising others on how to address me! If this is your best point of reference on cultural matters, then you REALLY need to expand your list of resources. Can we let this topic die in 2014? I think it's time. Btw...where's the poll option that allows me to be addressed by NAME?!? That's what I'd PREFER...

iii381

And on another note? Why are we listening to a ****roach? I mean, michael jackson...dead, whitney houston...dead, richard pryor, bernie mac...all dead. Yet, Suge is still running around pretending to be somebody! I swear, if we were.to have a nuclear holocaust, all that would be left would be justin bieber, lindsay lohan, suge knight, and rush limbaugh!