Philip Seymour Hoffman

A Single Drink

Ultimately Led to Death

2/6/2014 12:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0206-philip-seymour-hoffman-master
Philip Seymour Hoffman's recent and fatal path down the road of addiction was triggered by an innocent drink ... sources close to the actor tell TMZ.

Hoffman had been sober for 23 years prior to shooting "The Master" -- but during a wrap party in 2012, the actor succumbed to temptation ... and celebrated the movie with a drink ... which quickly became a couple of drinks.

Hoffman acknowledged to confidants ... the drinks opened the floodgates.  Addictions experts all say one drink can destroy an addict's life ... and that seems to be what happened here.

Sources tell us Hoffman didn't begin experimenting with heroin until 2013, after he had already fully fallen off the wagon. We're told he had long been curious about the drug.

It started with snorting -- and last May, he quickly checked into rehab because he was terrified it would escalate to IV use ... which it eventually did.

Pringle62

One drink did not set him on the pat to IV use.

victor gibson

Lets stop being stupid. One drink didnt do it many did heroin did stop making friggin excuses like oh one drink did it my god. Wake up you lame parnoid out of control seeking to find some silly excuse the fact is the man had plenty of so called friends, he had plenty of money plenty of influence if he died due to heroin use its because he refused to stop. hollywood is famous for making tons of excuses but if you were found dead with a needle there would be nothing out of their mouths for you but another stupid loser bit the dust.

Mark Magrudder

Am I the only one who is getting tired of hearing about this? How is it relevant to anything other than the fact that people who do illegal drugs can possible die. We get that!

KEN

HE IS A DRUG ADDICT PLAIN AND SIMPLE,NO DIFFERENT THEN THE JUNKIE ON THE STREET,LRTS NOT PRAISE THIS GUY WITH THE WEAK MIND

Jimbo

Why is it when a movie star, politician, entertainer or a notable person takes drugs they always say he or she "experimented with it"? While everyone is branded as a drug user, junky or some other name.

DR. JERRY

I never even heard of this guy before he died. Now that he's dead I can't get away from the endless coverage of his overdose. Enough already! He's dead. Get over it!

WickedSouL

This got to b the stupidest article that tmz ever did....one drink my *ss...

Dave

It was the one drink that did it other then that he was a picture of health even with the heroin abuse problem

mark

Heroin great high for 2 weeks then you are just a zombie feeding the habit and $$$$ to the s***bag suppliers

susan

I think I can understand the all or nothing mentality. I used to do drugs (not heroin) in the 80's, I smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day also. Just gave it all up one day. To this day, I cannot smoke a cigarette or I would be back to 2 packs a day and I don't dare do drugs. I guess I have an addictive personality as well but I know better and don't dare tempt it

jim

I had my 25th AA birthday last July. From time to time, usually around the holidays, somebody will offer me a drink,and I'll think "You know, it's been a quarter of a century. I think I've demonstrated my control over alcohol!" I say no, because I know what would happen. I think AA's statistic is that a single drink will lead to an 80% chance of you being at your "full practice" (the amount you drank a day when you quit) by the end of the week. "One drink's too many,and a million's not enough."

Richard877

With 23 years of sobriety, he knew exactly what he needed to do to get back to being clean and sober again. I have 16 years, and I hope that if I ever relapsed, my ego would not prevent me from going back to meetings and starting again. Some of us have to die in order for others to live...

Kurts111699

Addiction cares not about anyone just kills . Like a grim reaper with an angel costume on . 14 years sober

JR

Hello, my name is Jack & I am a sober addict...Guess he missed the freedom sobriety allows..Too bad he didnt get it right..Had so much going for him and was such a blessing to others..He did however provide the ultimate example of where addiciton leads..Tip of the hat to you Phil..RIP..Hope you're in a better place..

Richard877

With 23 years of sobriety, he knew exactly what he had to do to get back to being clean and sober. I have 16 years of continuous sober and clean living. These stories,(and there are many) are pretty scary. I just hope that if I ever relapsed I would not let my ego prevent me from going back to meetings and starting again. some of us have to die in order for others to live...