Philip Seymour Hoffman

A Single Drink

Ultimately Led to Death

2/6/2014 12:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0206-philip-seymour-hoffman-master
Philip Seymour Hoffman's recent and fatal path down the road of addiction was triggered by an innocent drink ... sources close to the actor tell TMZ.

Hoffman had been sober for 23 years prior to shooting "The Master" -- but during a wrap party in 2012, the actor succumbed to temptation ... and celebrated the movie with a drink ... which quickly became a couple of drinks.

Hoffman acknowledged to confidants ... the drinks opened the floodgates.  Addictions experts all say one drink can destroy an addict's life ... and that seems to be what happened here.

Sources tell us Hoffman didn't begin experimenting with heroin until 2013, after he had already fully fallen off the wagon. We're told he had long been curious about the drug.

It started with snorting -- and last May, he quickly checked into rehab because he was terrified it would escalate to IV use ... which it eventually did.

ChloeMcgee

So sad!

Annie

I started drinking after seeing the movie The Master. That movie melted my eyes from the sockets and killed most of my remaining brain cells. WORST movie I have EVER seen. Number One WORST film in my top ten worst. LAST VEGAS just made the list or LEGENDS OF THE FALL Part 2, as I call it.

Tom

How long do we have to hear about this loser? Most people I hear say they never heard of him until now.

Raymond

From looking at the film it should have been Phoenix.

Joe

Why do some people think they can just simply try that drug when they know in their heart that one is addicted on the very first dose.

Dave

More nonsense. Drug addiction is a serious matter that never truly goes away. It's a day to day battle that can last for years. One drink didn't spiral Hoffman. It might have set off the latest battle with addiction, but I'm sure it was one of many incidents.

Simon

His one drink relapse is based on the disease theory of alcoholism. The brain has what are called dendritic spines, which is where memories are stored, and this is where the connection for relapse occurs. Ironically, some brains have shorter spines genetically, and scientists are learning such brains develop new pathways that do not link to old memories, thus avoiding the craving and need for alcohol.

Frank P.

This certainly blows up the theory that marijuana drives people to drugs like heroin. Excuse me for being trite but we are all the captain's of our own ships and the waters we sail them in,

PAUL

pure bull ****-----his fault ---without doubt -----still sad to waste such a bright light----if he was ghetto guy would such a fuss be made

shiggity

Jesus, it's like the guy had no self control at all

Steven

WHO F..KING CARES! He was selfish and left behind a family and was a HEROIN ADDICT !! He wasn't a kid!! I feel bad for these young kids that are on this ****. JESUS GUYS! he was a grown man!! LET IT GO!

Goldbrique

50 or 70 Bags if a Black man got caught with that much Heroin he would be called a dealer not just a user. Maybe he was the window to the stars.

Steven

WHO F>>KING CARES!!! He left behind a family making him SELFISH! He was a grown man, NOT A KID! I feel bad for these kids that are on this **** and don't really know better! LET IT GO! You do drugs you PAY!! SIMPLE! Awwww lets feel sorry for the celebrity! Its happens in the streets every day!!!

Ralphellison187

That one drink in believing you got it under control is your unraveling.

lDDB

I'm so sick of this excuse. I would be 200 pounds if I believed any of this. The reason why I am NOT 200 pounds and 5'3" tall is because of FREE WILL. Addicts are all using this "one drink will lead to collapse" thing as their big excuse to just lose all control and stuff themselves.........but not on food, on drugs and drink. Give me a break.