« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Michael Sam

College Football Star Reveals

... I'M GAY

2/9/2014 5:17 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0209_michael-sam_getty

Missouri Tigers superstar Michael Sam -- one of the best college football players in the country -- has revealed he's gay ... and the timing comes just months before he will enter the NFL Draft.

Sam -- the SEC Defensive Player of the Year -- made the announcement publicly on Sunday  ... saying, "I am an openly, proud gay man."

If (and when) he's drafted, Sam will be the first openly gay man on an NFL roster in the history of the league.

"I understand how big this is. It's a big deal. No one has done this before. And it's kind of a nervous process, but I know what I want to be ... I want to be a football player in the NFL."

24-year-old Sam said he already confided in a few friends ... and realized people knew while he was at the Senior Bowl. Sam says he dated another male athlete at Missouri, but not a member of the football team.

Sam says he finally came out to his teammates last year ... and they couldn't have been more supportive.

"I was kind of scared, even though they already knew. Just to see their reaction was awesome. They supported me from Day One. I couldn't have better teammates. ... I'm telling you what: I wouldn't have the strength to do this today if I didn't know how much support they'd given me this past semester."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

WickedSouL

Wow. .. that's brave for the young man... now u are truly free...

olu32

I'm happy for him. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what people think about you, it's what you think about yourself. To thine own self be true

Fry Daddy

I don't know if it was smart for him to do this before being drafted. Brave non the less though. Any one who thinks its choice should talk to the mothers of gay individuals. Most of them will tell you their child was 'different' from a very early age.

Coupe09

Woohoo! Love this kind of news! :o)

zombie007

Don't drop the soap.

Lil-za

Oooh lalaaaa!

Safire

Why do people have to advertise who they sleep with? Tmz and their gay agenda lol

ohplezze

When will blk men stick around to raise their male children to be heterosexual male's.

Machelle

I just don't see the purpose of making an announcement.

summer days

He's not "advertising" or "sharing" people! He is just not hiding - like others have had to! Don't like it? Get over it!

Milehigh

Someone really needs attention.

Gary Walker

The internet is full of trolls. You are just looking for a negative reaction.

I'm an old man of 48 years old... and use my REAL name when I post my opinions. I don't use anonymous names like 'puff the magic penis.'

Really? You think you are clever and witty?

nirrad

The main people that are making jokes are probably in the closet themselves

Yomama

Black women lost Blackman to Asian women, then white women and now other *****.

Drew

Good Luck Michael Sam, I really hope you still get drafted and Kudos to the team that does.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments