Shayne Lamas, Nik Richie

We Named Our Son

After He Died

2/19/2014 1:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0218_nik_richie_shayne_lamas_tmz
Shayne Lamas
and husband Nik Richie not only tragically lost their 20-week-old unborn baby last week ... Nik was put through one of the most heart-wrenching moments a father can bear -- having to name and hold the baby after it died.

TMZ broke the story ... Shayne suffered a rare pregnancy complication last week and underwent an emergency hysterectomy to save her life and stop the massive bleeding.  In the process, she lost her baby.

Nik tells TMZ ... a few days after the baby died, a social worker from the hospital, along with someone involved in the religion affiliated with the hospital, came to him and asked if he wanted to know the gender of his baby.  He said yes, and they told him the baby was "a beautiful boy."

But then Nik says, he was asked if he wanted to view his son to get closure.  Nik says he nervously obliged and was taken to a room where his son lay.  Nik says they asked him to hold the baby while they prayed.

But it wasn't over.  Nik was then told he needed to name his child so they could fill out a birth certificate.  Nik, who was overwrought with emotion, told them he always wanted a son named Rex, so he named the boy Rex Jagger Lamas-Richie.  He chose Jagger because of Mick.

Nik says he's glad he got to see his son but it was the hardest thing he's ever done.

As for Shayne ... Nik says she doing better but -- after a medically-induced coma and a cardiac arrest scare -- she's still in ICU and in danger.

Nik wrote a letter to his son, that he asked us to share.

0218_NIK_RICHIE_sub_doc2

JUI

i agree.. i give condolence to his wife but he has posted crap of young under age girls without thinking and for money ! karma is coming for you ! but bless the baby ...no child should grow up knowing his father is a s***bage.

think101

Condolences to the Family and Friends.

Crabby

like these two fame whores are the first couple ever to lose an unborn child??

ChloeMcgee

Horrible. I wouldn't wish what these two are going thru on my worst enemy. She had to have a hysterectomy too, that's just devastating. She is so young and only has one child. Hopefully her ovaries remain and they can try again with a surrogate someday when they have healed a little from this awful tragedy and that will take time. A lot of time. Very sad story.

verlinda

R.I.P. Little one

TJ

TMZ, bordering on the macabre these days~ private business this should be.

spock

wow, that's tough. At least he got to hold his boy once.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

I have sorrow for the child, none for him. He's a terrible person.

my 2 cents

So , so sad..

Jennifer

OMG that letter made me cry! That is just awful. Those poor people.

Jennifer

And who are these people anyway?

rcytrcy01@yahoo.com

Say what you want about these people, but they must be struggling right now to come to terms with what has happened. I am sad for them and hope they can find some sort of comfort and peace.

PeopleDoTheMost

I don't care wether he is a terrible person or not but I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I pray for him and his wife that they get through this and she fully recovers.

MidnightBeast

I don't care if you're a fan, you hate them, or you have no idea who they are. Nobody should have to go through this, ever. My heart goes out to both of them and I hope she makes a recovery quickly.

Layla Brown

I an sorry but this is just more ways to get two media whores more press. They love to see their name in print--they have now brought a 30week fetus into the limelight. To be truly upset over this--normal people would mourn a childs death im privacy--not call TMZ and give them a blow by blow description of the whole thing. The baby was UNBORN and therefore could not have been issued a BIRTH certificate. Only a death certificate. Lies and all--shame for using the loss of a precious baby for press!