Liza Minnelli

Ellen Called Me a Drag Queen ...

And it Wasn't Funny

3/4/2014 6:24 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

030414_liza_minnelli_launch_v2
Liza Minnelli didn't like the joke Ellen DeGeneres cracked about her at the Oscars ... suggesting she was actually a drag queen.

Liza and a male companion hit up Craig's restaurant in West Hollywood Monday night ... and Liza made it clear -- Ellen's joke backfired big time.

Liza's note to Ellen:  She should have stopped and acknowledged they were friends, but instead Ellen blew through to the next joke, so it sounded mean.

But Liza says she's sure Ellen was filled with the best of intentions.
 030414_liza_oscars_launch

Brian

Why was she even at the Oscars? Was she up for an award? Has he even done anything in years?

Bee

I thought it was mean. Even if she was joking it was a mean thing to say. She is a human being people. Sure she looks odd but there is no need to be mean spirited about it. She did no look happy either when the camera was on her. I think Ellen should apologize in air. That was so disrespectful to pick on her in that way. Make fun of her outfit but her face ? Low!

Florida

Umm, yes it was funny! Liza is probably the most popular persona for a drag queen

Courtney

I thought that the joke was classless. Years ago, Liza was a star on Broadway, but she has had health issues and battled addictions. I thought it was mean for Ellen to insult her, she wasn't even that funny as a host on Oscar night.

barcham

I didn't even realize that it was really Liza until reading about it on the net. She looked nothing like herself and more like a poor impersonator than anything else.

Jenna5960

While watching it that night and again now it is very harsh. However Ellen is the last person who would ever mean harm so I think she was meaning the joke to be about the many male Liza impersonators but it didn't come across that way unfortunately.

Vote2012

I always thought this was a man dressed up as a woman, it's a shock to me. Over half this country has no clue who she is and the other half don't care. If it wasn't for her famous mother, she would be selling women's undergarments in some NYC dept store.

bbwlover1969

Grow up you old hag. You're lucky anyone even knows you anymore

LoveYaAlwaysLisaD

Liza was there to honor her mother. Ellen is a drag queen...what the hell was Ellen doing. Liza, just ignore the dyke. We love you in this country. You Diva!!! She is jealous.

really?

Yea, it WAS funny, and she should be grateful anyone is calling her anything!

jacqueline

Ellen was wrong, liza is an icon and should be respected in that minor, totaaly disrespectful and she must apolojise to liza publically.i dont ellen vhas room to talk shes the one invoved with a woman.

Heidi

I'M CONFUSED....... I SAW & HEARD HER SAY TO ONE OF THE ENTERTAINMENT INTERVIEWERS AFTER THE SHOW WHEN ASKED IF SHE WAS UPSET, QUOTE: "OF COURSE NOT, IT WAS A JOKE"......... INTERESTING HOW YOU TURN IT INTO THE OPPOSITE AS A FEW OTHERS HAVE WITHOUT KNOWING SHE HAD ALREADY SAID THAT HOURS BEFORE......

dierdre

I agree w/some people that Liza has many impersonators, so why was she so upset at Ellen? First of all Ellen was totally hilarious...I couldn't stop laughing...She's a comedian for God's sake... Besides she does look like a tranny. Clean up your act Liza, & just maybe when someone imitates you, it won't be a bad joke like you think. I thought Ellen was the best host the Oscars ever had.

SNAFU

Personally I didn't think it was funny at all, kinda mean.

SoManyIdiots

Ellen can say what she wants, even if it's mean spirited and NO ONE will touch her. Maybe everyone should ask Ellen if she actually owns a dress, or if she just TRIES to look like a man? No different than what she said to Liza.