« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

'Blackfish' Car

RACE ON AT TALLADEGA

Thanks to 'Simpsons' Creator

4/1/2014 11:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0401-blackfish-car-1_the_simpsons
Former NASCAR driver Leilani Munter WILL be taking her "Blackfish" car to Talladega, TMZ has learned -- all thanks to an incredibly generous donation from "Simpsons" co-creator Sam Simon.

As we reported, Leilani had desperately been trying to raise money to pay for the $115,000 fee to enter the car for a big race at an ARCA event at Talladega Superspeedway on May 3rd. As of our last story, she had raised only $7,500.

But that all changed last week -- Leilani appeared on Simon's radio show to talk about her car and orca-related activism ... and Simon was so moved, Leilani tells us, he donated the balance of her entrance fee immediately after the show ... $107,500.

We're told Simon visited Taiji in February (the place where "The Cove" was shot) and has become an outspoken advocate for the humane treatment of orcas. Leilani tells us, she plans to win the race on behalf of orcas around the world suffering in captivity.

Sam -- who has terminal colon cancer -- has vowed to give away his fortune before he dies ... specifically toward animal rights and feeding the hungry.

As if giving the world "The Simpsons" wasn't enough.

0401_sam-simon_getty

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Stiletto

In the same situation...I'd say "screw charities...bring me on the best of the best in teenage hookers until my last dying breath!"

K South West

The proper term would be ... 'African-American' fish

static

A waste of money nobody watches ARCA races.

Chakrocks

Bless them both. I hope she wins

Farrakhan Ashy Larry

Hillbillies driving around in circles. Yeah, that's some athletic competition transpiring there.

Eric

Good for him for giving his fortune away to good causes. I bet his family is saying "D'oh!"

ariesalyson

This is wonderful news! I love the Simpsons!!! What a heartwarming story. This man is awesome to do that for her. I am a fan of both causes. I think it is a shame abour his cancer. I am pulling for him too. Live the rest of your life happily Sam!!

Rigby

For a stupid car race? 🙀

BobbyC

He wants to hit that dolphin style.

grumpiestoldman

It can't cost more than about 30 thou to field an ARCA car. And who exactly will see it? The 20 people in the stands?

Orca, ARCA Orca ARCA

mom in midwest

Sam Simon is awesome, thank you Sam. I hope you defy the odds and live a long life.

Michael

What about an Arca race is $115k? I sponsored a car, the points leader that year, a top 5 guy in the series one season and a race was only $30k for the primary sponsor. These cars seldom have a full sponsor for the year and a car can be covered for a lot less than $115k. Coverage will be weak and we had our logo and website on TV, also handed out 30,000 flyers at the track. Car finished 6th at the race, web traffic it generated was not noticeable.
They can do a lot more with $115k than waste it on the ARCA car.

Hammer

I don't watch the simpsons but that's pretty cool of him to donate to help raise awareness for a noble cause.

Diamond Goddess!

IMO, Sam's money would be better spent teaching people how to work.
(Jus' sayin').

gerald

Sam a true hero. The world needs more people like him.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments