« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Fans Should Boycott ...

Players Should Not

4/26/2014 11:07 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0426_magic_johnson_tmz_2
Magic Johnson
tells TMZ Sports ... he wants Donald Sterling to step down as the Clippers owner and he thinks African Americans should boycott the games until that happens.

Magic says he feels betrayed by Sterling, telling us, "I thought we were friends.  We've broken bread together several times.  It's almost like, do you smile in my face but behind my back you talk about me?  I'd have felt better in 1979 if you would have just told me you don't like African Americans, and then I would have known how to deal with you."

Magic says he strongly believes the players should focus on playing basketball and should NOT boycott Sunday's playoff game.  BUT, Magic thinks African Americans should not line Sterling's pockets by going to the games, saying, "He wants our money but doesn't want us to show up."

As for what should happen to Sterling, Magic is clear:  "He has to step down or sell the team."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Lucia

Magic is aways the best, Sterling, the beast. Love u Magic, all races and religions that's world for me.

donald keith

The players should play and play lousy and lose ! teach the old racist a lesson!

Todd

Sterling believes the guys who play for him are his slaves. That he owns them, and that they should be obedient and obey him. Don't assume L.A. is a safe city Sterling! Money can only save you for so long. This is 2014

Beanie

Those players are his slaves. Of course he want blacks on his team. Can you imagine how magic feels having dinner and thinking this guy was his friend. Nope he hated him.

sfrandiver

Magic a boycott? Didn't they want to boycott you for HIV?

sue Holland

Donald's girlfriend provoked him - he never said he hated Magic or anyone else. He simply prefers the friendship to remain at the basketball level. Boycotting sports? White people well make up for over 75% of the sports fan base - no fans no money. Go right ahead and see how long the black players, their wives and girlfriends tolerate it. The money is too good. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to socialize with other people. It's called choice of friends. Get over it!

Pluto775

Not just black people, Magic. I'm white and I'm offended by Sterling's way of thinking. Hatred and bigotry affects all of society, and everyone should boycott the Clips.

Mick

Magic is a hypocrite, he blacked out Dodgers fans by selling out to time warner. He has no credibility to tell clippers fans to boycott.

ceecee

I DONT SPEND A CENT ON ANY RACIST COMPANY OWNER! I SUPPORT ONLY BLACK BUSINESSES! I OWN MY OWN HOME I AM SELF EMPLOYED AS WERE MY PARENTS/GRANDPARENTS/GREATGRANDPARENTS! AND THANK GOD MY UTILITIES CELL PHONE AND INTERNET PAYMENTS DO NOT COME OUT OF MY WEALTH!

shbkynn45

I am listening to Magic Johnson right now, talking pure nonsense. No backbone, no guts, saying nonsense, like this is not the players or coach fight, most of the players and coach are white, right, Magic, just go shut the hell up, you make balck people look stupid.

shbkynn45

Another thing Magic Johnson, don't try to ride on what the president said, you need to make your own common sense statements about this racist.

shbkynn45

Now the racist have just made some more racist stupid statements. He said, "I pay blacks so have food for their families, I pay them for this that and the other". Hold up racist, ypu don't pay blacks ****, if they did not play basketball, you would not pay, they create their own income. That is just how the slave holders talked about black people when they were being held. Saying racist things like, "We treat our slaves good, they are happy slaves".

lordhelmet

Who cares what this HIV positive laker says? Those players are paid MILLIONS to play that kid's game. Who CARES what the owner things if the checks don't bounce? Johnson is an idiot. He proved that, by the way, when he had his TV show. Talk about a total and complete disaster run by a mental midget! The only reason I watched it was to see Howard Stern bring a bunch of "farters" on the air and actually have that idiot Johnson air the episode.

Blade

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and beliefs. The problem here as I see it, is he made the statement in public and not private...that makes what he says public domain. Should players boycott...no. Should fans boycott...no. Should people go to games to support the players, eat before they leave home, and not purchase that expensinve food and items at the games, in stores, and online...yes. That supports the team and takes money out of his pocket. Should not hurt those that were not a part of it. Is he a racist, probably, he singled out a race of people. If he said, "don't bring men to the game" that would be different.

Taye

I agree with Magic on this one he should step down you can't say something like this about your black players and then think they should respect him afterwards this is slavery all over again hes finished lets get this over with if he where black and these where white team players I believe this would have been handled much quicker stop stalling already we all know that was him being recorded duh

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments