Aaliyah

Family Vows To Torpedo Biopic

6/18/2014 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0617-aaliyah-getty-01Aaliyah's family is on the attack against "Lifetime" ... vowing to stop production on her biopic.

Lifetime plans to start filming this summer ... chronicling the R&B singer's life and tragic death. 17-year-old Disney actress Zendaya has been cast as Aaliyah -- who died in 2001 in a plane crash.

Aaliyah's uncle and former manager, Barry Hankerson, tells us the family is pissed that no one from the network contacted them about the movie.

Hankerson says the family will block any attempt on Lifetime's part to use any of Aaliyah's music.  He says the family has hired a lawyer and will do everything they can to block release of the flick.

The family is not opposed to a big, theatrical film, but thinks a TV movie is too small for someone as big as Aaliyah.

We called Lifetime ... so far no response.

0617-zendaya-swipe-tmz-01

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Ihatejustinbeiber

First comment (; I lived Aaliyah! So sad the illuminati killed her

kali

Who?

kingnoor123

Guys go HATE on the company not the 17 years old actor. Don't be so cruel to her, she did nothing to disrespect the family. I'm mad at the company too but not the girl who's casted for Aaliyah

Zombie Whitney Houston

Why would anybody want to see a big screen movie about Aaliyah?? Let alone a Lifetime made-for-TV one?
Here's what happens...

R. Kelly secretly marries her when she's underage.
She dies in a plane crash.
The End.

shelly g

Oh I don't think so she's no Aaliyah...oh no that wouldn't work. When I look at her I see Queen Latifah.

Aaliyahx3

I'm soo angry because of this "Movie". Now after all those years the want to make a Movie about aaliyah &' then with a girl who looks like a piece of **** . Like Aaliyahs Brother said " I've never saw a female who can play the role of my sister"!!!! And he has so right with this . Nobody can play Aaliyah -.- I will not watch this **** movie and I saw on IG that some Aaliyah Fans make a pedition and I will also join.Sorry because of my words but I'm so pissed off -.-

big teaser

Aaliyah is alive and well in that underground city where tupac at.

CFGodwell

I hate to say it...I agree with the family, BUT I see why the detachment from entertainers families during the filming of a biopic take place. The families want the entertainer preserved in a sparkling shiny idea or image and with the music industry or Hollywood, that is just not the case. I can see the family wanting to omit the pedophile R. Kelly marriage, the love triangle between Dame Dash and jay Z (yes, its VERY real and even includes a rumored tape in NYC), but other than those two important tidbits, Aaliyah avoided the lack-of-talent snobbery (and looseness) of Rihanna and the vile behind the scenes nasty image machine of Beyonce, who is known for hacking and swagger-jacking. Then again, look at the late great Nina Simone...her family lied to, disrespected and locked out of even a advisory role in her upcoming disgrace of a biopic starring the french-sandwich-eating (white men only) Zoe Saldana. The film is not oy a farce, but portrays Nina as a white man chasing insecure Black woman, which is a lie.

bkblueknight

lifetime is complete s***. every man is the devil. this is one of those old time things you wish would go away

CJ

What is with these families are they completely delusional? A big screen film would be a flop, she wasn't THAT famous and many young people now barely know who she is. Even Whitney Houston isn't getting a big screen film and rightfully so IMO!

Suzy Q

Zendaya's to young to do a Lifetime Movie! She's not a has-been yet!

Step away from the Lifetime movie! It will kill your career!

PS. I feel old. I don't even know who this singer is.

Scott Levy

Get real, Aaliyah was marginally famous at her peak. A tv movie is about right for her story. She's basically unknown to today's generation.

Celeb Gossip Addict

Aaliyah's family is like the King's unless she can be portrayed as perfect they want know portrayal at all. If the family makes a film it wouldn't include her scandalous love life at all.

rob

They are lucky she is getting a lifetime movie. Lifetimes aren't as bad. Whitney houston was a much bigger star than her and she too is getting a lifetime movie. I rather watch a lifetime movie then pay to see it in the theaters.

jan