'Gold Rush' Star James Harness

Dead at 57

7/3/2014 2:53 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

James Harness Dead
update_graphic_red_bar
4:00 PM PDT
:  Harness' kids say James died a week ago, after suffering a stroke a week before.  They say the funeral will be held in Oregon Saturday.
update_grey_gray_bar
James Harness, star of Discovery's "Gold Rush," is dead.

Harness -- who lived in Oregon -- had serious medical issues, including back injuries from a car accident that crippled him with pain.

He also had a serious addiction problem with pain pills, which triggered problems on the show.  We're told he wasn't showing up for work and became so unreliable he was fired during season 2.

We do not know the cause of death or where he was when he died.

Harness was divorced and had a son and a daughter.  He was 57.

R.I.P.

070314_gold_rush_launch

6one9

Lots of ppl dying this year!!!

What up with that??

s.crewv

rip.You could have just said he left the show after season2.Didnt have to rehash dirt

backofftmz

Who?

lastrebel

I liked that show. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP

Unbroken Chain

I liked him. Doctors have to stop giving people strong pain pills. There are pain medicines that don't contain opiates. It's an epidemic here in Florida with the oxycodone

Clytemnestra

Only 57, but chronic and crippling pain can make you feel like 157. Condolences to family and friends.

Na.na.na.na Booboo.....stick ya head in doodoo

These reality stars dropping dead like flies huh

Carl

Too bad. I actually liked him and felt bad for all the medical problems he was having on the show. If it had to be anyone I would have preferred that idiot that is the star of the show and leader of the group. I stopped watching Gold Rush because I just couldn't stand that idiot anymore.

E-Rod

It's sad how an accident or injury can lead to cir***stances that are far worse than the original condition.

PatinNJ

This isn't a famous person.

DirkDiggler

His work in 'The Hangover' was genius. My wolf pack has 1 less wolf.

BlindFury

R.I.P. Brother. You were one of the good ones on that show.

woolly -Bear

Josh and his Crazy Old Man were the DOUCHE BAGS of the show. Nothing worse then Fundamental, Right Wing Christians . Especially southern ones. The Old F#cker was useless and should of been put out too pasture long ago. Hey Josh - All OUR GODS came from the Stars you Inept FOOL... ;)

EastCoastChopper

Just like Deadliest Catch... (Cornelius Marie) you really never know what came first... The opiate addiction or the "back pain"...

Sad these guys did not source and grow their own hybrid medical marijuana...it would have extended life and improved quality of life.

Anyway....the show is fake as hell

n2cr8zysht