YouTube Star Michelle Phan

Responds to Song-Stealing Lawsuit

I HAD PERMISSION!!!

7/21/2014 10:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0721-michelle-phan-kaskade-tmz-instagram-03Michelle Phan had every right to use the music she had in her wildly famous YouTube makeup videos ... because the company that owned the rights said she could ... at least her lawyers claim they did.

As TMZ previously reported, Ultra Records -- home to EDM giants Deadmau5, KaskadeCalvin Harris, and many more -- sued Phan for copyright infringement ... claiming she stole dozens of their songs for her videos.

But Phan's lawyers tell TMZ ... Ultra fully agreed to allow Phan to use the music and feels her videos have promoted their music and "showcased [them] to an international audience."

Phan's legal team says Phan plans to file a lawsuit of her own.

For his part, Kaskade has taken to Twitter to defend Phan, writing over a series of tweets ... "I’m not suing @MichellePhan + @ultrarecords isn’t my lapdog. I can’t do much about the lawsuit except voice support for her."

Hanna Snowdon-Sykes

They need to get the story straight!

Miss jNay

This whole law suit is sad...

BLUE UGLY 💩

Who cares about this ugly self hating Asian nobody's problems

Gretel

How old is she? She seems pretty young to be starting with plastic surgery. Maybe she'll be able to get some coin and find a much better surgeon than the one who overfilled the left side of her top lip. Gross.

Timmy Boy

Any marketing experts here? Why can't SHE charge the record company for "promoting" the songs? Same with tv shows using apple products. Why do they always cover the apple logos? A) they dont want to get sued by apple? B) they dont want to give apple publicity unless apple pays them. How does that work?

boo boo

I have tried her makeup techniques because I like the way they look...only problem is that I suck at putting on makeup and I wind up looking like a tranny whore :(

renaxo

Smh so this is what the industry is doing to YouTube make up artists?

DaDa

This is what TMZ says is newsworthy? Who cares about an amateur make up girl?

HumanNature

SOMEBODY IS "GREEDY"

Boldface

Would you PLEASE stop with the Perez rip-off "I did this" and "I did that" headlines because they are a) misleading journalism (now that you're being taken seriously) and b) they are very boring.

bkblueknight

id open her fortune cookie

Rigby

I seen her videos they are good. The music Industry must be broke who will you go after next? Karoke bars?

bowmiow

They should be happy that she put their music in, THAT'S HOW I FOUND OUT FOR KASKADE AND SINCE THEN KASKADE IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE MUSIC!
Also, thanks Michelle for teaching us how to do makeup!

R

EDM sucks anyway, so be grateful anyone uses it

Jazzi

She doesn't look Asian to me. But then again, she might have had several surgeries . Its apparent with the lips. Most likely the eyes as well and cheeks, In any case, I think she is quite pretty (with the makeup)

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments