« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tony Dungy

I Wouldn't Have Drafted Michael Sam

... Because He's Gay

7/21/2014 9:29 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0721-bungy-sam-getty-01
Former Super Bowl winning coach Tony Dungy says he wouldn't have drafted Michael Sam because he wouldn't want to deal with the gay factor.

Dungy -- who's currently an analyst for NBC -- made the comments to the Tampa Tribune ... saying, "I wouldn’t have taken him. Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn’t want to deal with all of it."

Dungy predicts the fact that Sam is openly gay will be an issue in the NFL -- explaining, "It’s not going to be totally smooth ... things will happen."

Dungy seems to be acknowledging that Sam is talented enough to play in the NFL -- but he would have overlooked that because of his sexual orientation.

Of course, Sam WAS drafted ... and will be fighting for a roster spot on the St. Louis Rams. For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Lucky_130

This man is a good coach

Supr Dav

Wo does?

Supr Dav

Not to mention the smell from all the sharts in the locker room.

Sheldon Siegel

If he was a baseball coach, would he have passed on Jackie Robinson so he wouldn't have to deal with those problems too?

jan

I will gladly take a gay football player, over the murderer the rapist,and dog fighter.

imdaman

#TEAMTONYDUNGY

BldAshes

I agree that it's a distraction for the team however, I would draft the sec co defensive player of the year no matter what. Also where the rams drafted him they could be considered geniuses or nothing at all since most prospects don't pan out anyway

RD

Just replace the word 'gay ' with the word 'black' or any other race and you see just how idiotic people sound when they make these comments.

paul a.

Its unfortunate that of all the teams he is trying out for it has to be the Rams.

I can hear the jokes already......

Phil Mcl

I wish they would just cut him and get it over with he is not good enough to make the NFL, he sucks!!!!! In more than one way.

nottmee

Thats why his son committed suicide. Because Tony Dungy does not play that gay shiiii.

I-See-Dumb-People

It's a good thing the civil rights movement didn't rely on the spineless Tony Dungys of the world.

Ron Fing Swanson

Good this is no issue, the whole he's gay thing is a circus, he's not even that good. He's going to get cut.

darcy

NBC should absolutely fire Dungy as a correspondent.
That is a shameful comment...

Luz

So Michael got into the team anyway, what's the problem then?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments