Elvis Presley

Rolls-Royce Auction

Anything But a Hunka Hunka Junk

7/23/2014 9:46 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Elvis Presley Car AuctionIf you want to ride around like a king ... or rather THE KING ... then you need to scrape together $300,000 and buy Elvis Presley's sick ride.

The King's Rolls-Royce Phantom V limousine will be sold at auction by Bonhams at the Quail Lodge Auction in California on August 15.

Elvis had the car souped up by adding a telephone, a state-of-the-art radio and air-conditioning. Wait, how the hell was there a car phone in 1963?

Whoa ... creepy.

Rhubino

Oh c'mon. Maxwell Smart had a shoe phone in 1965. Know your history, TMZ.

Kabala

There were mobile phones in the 60s but they were very rare and very expensive.

Astharteea

I think he had the money to pay for technology that was in the works but had no financial support.actually based on Wikipedia the car phone was available for a while. Man, I loved Elvis. I wasn't around back then but I love reading his biographies and all the dirt. I think he was am AWSOME simple man that had an great voice and a beautiful face. I can totally understand what he went through by the end of his life. So yeah, this car is a pice of history. Kudos to the buyer.

BLUE UGLY đź’©

So what, I have my own plane

Eric in L.A.

Nice Classy Car.

Mali

You gotta love how RR kept the phantom looking the same through the years.

01void

Beautiful car and history of the long time king of rock n roll.

6one9

That's chump change for a lot of collectors!!

Thought it would go for way more than that!!

Lucky_130

This would make a nice weekend car

james

It takes a really , really , really looooong phone cord . (little snare hit cymbal crash sound , you know the thing after a stupid joke )
Actually , my dads' boss had a car phone probably at about that time , he also had a vcr way before most people had even heard of it . It seems like maybe that was 1968 ?? I remember him telling my mom about it and I'm thinking he said it was $5000 , something like that . he also had one of the first microwave ovens . I remember my dad saying something like " I wouldn't want anything heated in a contraption with the atmosphere of fallout from a nuclear bomb " or something like that .

lead

slip says its midnight blue, thats not midnight blue

Steve-O

Mobile phones go back to the late '40s. The head unit in EP's car is the type MJ control head and dates back to 1962. More info can be found here:

static

I live Elvis but what dumbass would spend over 300k for that ugly sled?

Jimbo

Nice, a phone so he could order a PB & Banana sandwich...

Me

Uh, mobile phone service has been around since the 1940's. What the hell is with you TMZ kids that makes you think nothing in the world existed before you became aware of it?

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments