Mateen Cleaves Released On Bond ... Despite Troubling Sex Assault Allegations
Mateen CleavesPleads Not Guilty In Sex Assault Case... Prosecutor Pissed!
3/16/2016 8:32 AM PT
Ex-Michigan State basketball star Mateen Cleaves was arraigned in his sexual assault case Wednesday morning -- pleaded not guilty to the charges -- and was ultimately released on bond.
As we previously reported, the 39-year-old -- who also played in the NBA -- has been accused of sexually assaulting a woman in a motel room last year. The woman, 24, says she escaped after the assault and got help from someone in a nearby room.
Cleaves was charged with: -- Unlawful Imprisonment (15-year maximum penalty) -- Assault with Intent to Commit Criminal Sexual Penetration (10 year maximum penalty) -- Criminal Sexual Conduct 2nd Degree (15-year maximum penalty) -- Two counts of Criminal Sexual Conduct 3rd Degree (15-years maximum penalty).
Moments ago, the judge let Cleaves out on a $150,000 personal recognizance bond -- which means he promised to show up to the next hearing ... and if he doesn't, he'll be forced to pay $150k.
The prosecutor in the case is PISSED ... claiming Cleaves is receiving undeserved special treatment -- specially because his arraignment was moved up a day without her knowledge.
"I don't know how they do things in Genesee County but we try our best to be as transparent as possible when my office is involved," prosecutor Kym Worthy said.
"There was an agreement with all of the parties that the defendant would turn himself in and be arraigned in open court tomorrow -- not for him to have a back door arraignment."
"The public has a right to know and frankly, I am extremely disappointed that this was handled so clandestinely today. I hope this is not a precursor of things to come."